or Connect

Posts by jm6032

Personal experience: I'm over 60. Started using "Smartphone" features with a Nokia 6682. Love my iPhone and iPad. Now here's something interesting and was not expecting. My mom is 88. Way retired. She spends a lot of time in front of the TV and some time in front of her iMac. She got an iPhone4. Now, she has noticed that she spends less time with the iMac. She just spends more time on her chair in front of the TV and she uses the iPhone for a lot of things now. It's...
I understand. I have shelves and shelves of DVD's and Blu-Rays. But, I'm the only one that watches them. My wife gives me "The Look" whenever I come home with one. I've seen her use Netflix. All these things that you and I grew up with and cherish are becoming obsolete. Yes, that bothers me, but that doesn't affect the process. So, I am choosing to embrace it. Yes, I will continue to buy Blu-rays, but I see the day coming. Even now, I am hankering to watch one of this...
I submit that you're still missing the fundamental point: I assert that there will be no more input switching. I submit that cable, satellite, DVR, DVD, Blu-Ray (a world of hurt, remember). May not even be in the Apple TV Set. Think about it, with Internet and On Demand programming, why all that other stuff? I know of the complexities of the content providers and licensing and all that you mention. But I further submit that all this will fall away as it becomes clearer...
Let me say this: My wife asked if we could have it on both TV's. I said the simplist solution is just to buy another AppleTV. She said ok, go get another one. I think that what I'm trying to say is that Apple is taking us in the direction of one remote that looks a lot like the Apple Remote that came with the AppleTV. There will be virtually no input switching or any thing even near the complexity of what AppleTV already supplies. You put that remote in the hands of a...
In a way that is the point. To see Netflix on the TV from the MacBook, she had to drag the web browser to the second screen. Then the MacBook would go to sleep way too often. The point here is that the integration of control, hardware, and content just took a light year leap. All the pieces are there. Nobody but Apple has successfullly brought it into a realm where a person as absolutely intelligent as my wife is happy with it. Also, it freed up the MacBook Pro and the...
Folks, I've written about my professional musician wife before. This pretty much really happened: Wife: I just bought Netflix. Me: Oh. (Thinking: Don't we have cable?) Wife: Yes, now I can watch movies on my MacBook and iMac. Me: Ok. ...Time Passes... Wife: Can we hook this to the TV in the bedroom? (Nice little 32" flatscreen.) Me: Yes. (Off to Apple store to buy adapter to hook to PC input on TV.) Wife: Cool. But what are all those cables going to the TV? Me: Well, we...
Thanks. That's partially true. I'll get fewer calls after the screeching out of the drive way asking me to look something up on maps. But, on a more serious observation: English is not my wife's native tongue. She was afraid Siri wouldn't understand her. Siri has been 100% dead on every time she talks to it. Wow. Even I can't do that...
I see a lot of folks trying to say Siri isn't ready or Siri isn't much use. I think you're wrong. This really happened in my garage just moments after getting her phone setup: Wife (a professional musician running late to a gig--as always): Asks me, "Where is Blah House in Dallas?" Me: "Just ask your phone" Wife to Siri: "Where is Blah House in Dallas?" Siri shows map with push pin. Wife touches push pin Phone displays address of Blah House in Dallas Wife punches...
I know we're expecting history to repeat itself, however, I don't think it will be as big a crash as implied here. I don't have statistics except my own experience in music production. My wife has a string quartet and we record many samples and some CD tracks in-house using a M-Audio Fire Wire interface and Logic. We farm out all mastering and serious editing. No one we use as outside contractors use Logic. It seems Logic just doesn't have the penetration into the audio...
I looked around the thread and I didn't see anyone directly address your primary question: How can a $10 part equate to a $100 increase in cost. I'm not going to discuss the end price, but I can assure you that a part that arrives at your incoming dock that you pay $10 for will end up costing you more than $10. First, someone has to pick it up, log it in as received (this also incurs IT costs...). Then it's moved to some storage location (after some kind of inspection to...