or Connect

Posts by pauldfullerton

One of the great benefits of the iPad is that it makes computers accessible to a vast number of people who were excluded by the complexity of the types of hardware and software developed to suit only the needs of business and IT professionals, and allowed the malware industry to flourish for decades. It would be a tragedy, and I really mean that, if the needs of business and IT professionals was to overtake the needs of ordinary people and once again exclude them from...
I wonder how Google are going at preventing malware authors and their criminal customers from taking advantage of the design flaws in various Android OS releases?
How terrible for Apple to cut the malware authors out of their ever growing profit stream. Surely Google, Microsoft and Samsung should take them to court for restriction of trade on behalf of their silent business partners!
If the average programmer was much more focussed on the functional aspects of what they are writing rather than whether they have put the requisite number of semicolons or curly brackets in the right place, then perhaps I might rate them as being 'intelligent'! The big problem with programmers is that they have become so focussed on the technology of writing programs that they have lost the capacity to communicate with the people who have a functional problem to solve and...
Rubbish. If it takes a programmer 500 lines of code in language X to do what another programmer can do with 50 lines of code in language Y, then language Y is far more 'powerful' than language X because it costs far less to complete a specific programming task. On top of that it should take far less time to debug and maintain 50 lines of code than 500 lines of code, particularly if there is an interpretive compiler for language Y. Now how many lines of code do you think a...
I think this is one of the most significant announcements by Apple is recent years. Although C-variants including Obj-C, are powerful in the right hands, they are just 2nd generation languages in the sense that we used to refer to Fortran and Cobol as 3rd generation languages. The syntax is inherently far too complicated for C-based languages to be used efficiently by all but highly trained professional programmers. From what I have seen from the Swift documentation so...
This article makes a lot of sense. One might expect Apple to come up with a similar strategy if it was in Samsung's shoes. And we can see Apple still trying to free itself from corporate and technological dependencies that it sees as limiting its ability to control its own product evolution. So I think such a strategy will be good for the whole industry in general because the Android platform is far too fragmented and hence complicated for anyone to use as the basis of a...
When will the IT industry gurus understand that price is not the determining factor driving sales of Apple products. It is product quality, and the quality and depth of the Apple ecosystem experience that drives Apple product sales. Far too many so-called 'industry experts' are still completely stuck in the mindset driven by the failing Microsoft era philosophy that says everyone must compete on price. Is it any wonder that so many companies are now failing because they...
What should have been done with Microsoft/Windows years ago, and what should be done with Google/Android now, is for a consortium of people and organisations who suffer losses as a result of malware-based crimes, to mount a massive class action against companies that consistently fail to release or update malware-resistant products, or app stores. The release of malware-friendly products does enormous damage to an industry that has become a central part of the global...
Who really cares about what shareholders think? If they don't want to own shares in a profitable company that behaves ethically in relation to paying taxes, then they can sell their Apple shares and buy shares in a company in the fossil fuel, tobacco or gambling industries which have no scruples about behaving unethically.