or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

Sounds like this is something new though, and the GF plant in Malta is already there.   There's a number of fabs up in the North East, and a great research place.  I spent a couple of happy months working in Albany Nanotech.
  I really abuse my phones, yet my black/slate iPhone 5 is scratch free, with the exception of a couple of minor dings along the edge.  I think it's been really durable so far. 
I'm delighted to see the Raspberry Pi on the list.  What a neat way to try and get kids into programming.   As for the winner, I fully support it.  I was amazed by how much better the 5 is than the 4S, which wasn't exactly a bad phone.  I really thought it would be nearly impossible to improve on the iPhone 5 until yesterday, when I downloaded Grand Theft Auto Vice City.   I've subsequently abandoned doing any work.
  I've no idea how mainland China is going to be a threat in the chipmaking space, at least in the medium term.  There is very little 300mm manufacturing there, let alone advanced geometries.   While China continues to have low-tech 200mm fabs, everyone else is about to start the arduous shift to 450mm.  Korea, Japan, Taiwan and the US are still miles ahead of China in chip manufacture.
  So many things wrong with this comment.   One of the reasons Apple have $100bn is because they are sensible.  Yes, if they wanted to get into manufacturing quickly, they could, but it would cost them massively.  They could buy the talent they need to have it happen, but every person they needed would over charge them relative to what everyone else pays, and paying over the odds isn't how Apple came to have so much cash.   UMC would need to do much more than just build a...
  Intel could easily make ARM.  All they need are the process steps (recipes) and with a bit of development could be banging out ARM chips inside 6 months.  I think it's unlikely though.  Intel's manufacturing processes are really first class - industry leading, but they are not really suited to being a foundry, where cost is a key driver.   TSMC are a quality company.  They have had some glitches with NVidia, but that could (and probably is) be a problem with NVidia and...
  You don't know how many "second chances" he might have already had.  For all we know, this was the straw that broke the camels back. Besides, this is the case when you get towards the top of an organization.  When something goes well, you get more credit than you deserve (since the actual "work" tends to be done by others) and if something goes wrong, you get more of the blame than you deserve.   The reward is large salaries and stock options.  The risk is losing your...
  They do fix the POI's eventually.  I reported the fact that a station in the village I grew up in had been closed in 1969 and demolished in 1972, and after about a month, they removed it.   Thanks also to MStone for posting the link to the web version of Nokia Maps.  I rather like it.
  I didn't realize that.  So there's no reason why someone other than Apple couldn't develop an app for Blackberry or Android and where, say Fandango says, "add to Passbook", it could equally go into a third party app on Android or Blackberry (assuming of course you are using the Fandango for Blackberry app)?
  I know it won't happen, but this is why I wish Apple would make Passbook open source and hence available on all phones.   The convenience of having everything in one place is fantastic, but that's not going to happen until there is one (or maybe two) standards for everyone to get behind.