or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

Apple TV is the best example of why Apple products are great.  It is limited in what it can do, but it does what it does perfectly.  You're under no illusions about what you're buying.   I think that's really what makes their design philosophy so strong.  Microsoft are keen to have the Surface do everything - it will be a tablet and a PC (if you attach a keyboard to it) and it will do neither especially well.  The iPad however is 100% tablet and it does that really...
  I think there's some truth in that.  My iMac is three years old now, and it still runs great.  Much though I'd like one of the new ones, I'm finding it hard to justify buying one, since my current one continues to do what I need it to very well.   Ten years ago, I would have upgraded my compter (which at the time was a PC - shudder) every couple of years, since the increased processor speed made a very appreciable difference in general computing tasks, but now, I don't...
  Finally, the North of England gets better treatment than London.  Normally most companies are entirely London-centric when it comes to the UK, but not this time.  Apple manage to include even the tiny Croft Spa station, near Darlington.  I'll grant you, the fact that Croft Spa station closed in 1969 and was demolished in the 1970's makes it a little odd, but there you go!    
  If $250 for the entry level model is right, it's going to cause some problems for the Kindle Fire HD.   I'll be interested to see the specs.  I'm hoping it will be significantly lighter than the current iPad.  I find the iPad 3 a pain to read with for any length of time, and am hoping the iPad Mini will be lighter enough to solve that problem.  Failing that, I'm going to get a regular Kindle again.
  Effectively the first person to use the ticket blocks it from the system.  If I forwarded my MLB ticket to someone else, then I went into the ballpark ahead of them, they would be refused entry.   It's no different to photocopying your "print at home" tickets.  The barcodes are unique and can only be used once.
  That is 100% correct.  I put the tickets to the Giants game I went to into Passbook by going to my SF Giants tickets page in Safari and clicking the "Add To Passbook" link.  There was no extra app to be installed. I really like it so far.
Your credibility was gone at "Curiously, it seems to be the "free and open" advocates who are grumbling about this change."   I'm not a free and open advocate.  I couldn't really care less about open source or closed source.  What I'm interested in is something that works well and is intuitive - that's what made me switch to Apple from Windows in the first place.  As it stands at the moment, even when you have an app that provides relevant Transit directions, it's...
  Apple will probably have done similar to other companies processors, and will expect and accept it being done to theirs.  TSMC, for example, won't use this teardown report to analyze the A6, they will already be doing one of their own, in a lot more detail, looking at specific materials used for thinks like the interconnects and dielectrics, just in case Samsung (the manufacturer of the A6) have come up with some sort of funky manufacturing technique that TSMC haven't...
Who's Motorola exactly?  This should cover it:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola
  That seems to be happening to me than.  I have a 4S, and the GPS didn't suspend (assuming the icon is an indication that the GPS is on) yesterday, but it's only happening with iOS6.  Previously I never noticed that happening.   Whatever is causing it, battery life is significantly worse on iOS6.  It doesn't bother me that much, since I have the phone plugged in most of the time, but if I don't I'd say I've gone from a phone that would last about 8 hours to one that does...