or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

Your credibility was gone at "Curiously, it seems to be the "free and open" advocates who are grumbling about this change."   I'm not a free and open advocate.  I couldn't really care less about open source or closed source.  What I'm interested in is something that works well and is intuitive - that's what made me switch to Apple from Windows in the first place.  As it stands at the moment, even when you have an app that provides relevant Transit directions, it's...
  Apple will probably have done similar to other companies processors, and will expect and accept it being done to theirs.  TSMC, for example, won't use this teardown report to analyze the A6, they will already be doing one of their own, in a lot more detail, looking at specific materials used for thinks like the interconnects and dielectrics, just in case Samsung (the manufacturer of the A6) have come up with some sort of funky manufacturing technique that TSMC haven't...
Who's Motorola exactly?  This should cover it:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola
  That seems to be happening to me than.  I have a 4S, and the GPS didn't suspend (assuming the icon is an indication that the GPS is on) yesterday, but it's only happening with iOS6.  Previously I never noticed that happening.   Whatever is causing it, battery life is significantly worse on iOS6.  It doesn't bother me that much, since I have the phone plugged in most of the time, but if I don't I'd say I've gone from a phone that would last about 8 hours to one that does...
  I noticed yesterday that Location Services seems obsessed with constantly checking where you are.  I used Passbook for the first time (to get into the Giants game in San Francisco) and it worked really well.  When we pulled into the parking lot by the stadium, I noticed that there was a banner on the lock screen saying I was near to AT&T Park, so the tickets were easy to get to.  Getting into the ground was a breeze, and Passbook worked exactly as advertised.  I was...
  No, Google maps wasn't built overnight.  Neither was the iPhone.  Do you really think if someone (say Motorola) brought out a phone that was only as good as the first iPhone, people on this board would excuse it with, "well the iPhone wasn't built overnight, it will get better"?     This is one of the best posts I've seen about this.  It amazes me on this board that only two extreme positions are possible.  Either you love everything Apple do unconditionally and...
Well, as opposed to just bashing people back and forth, I'm going to give my opinion instead.   I'm both disappointed with elements of the new maps, but cautiously optimistic that it will end up being a huge step forwards.  The bad comes down to two things, firstly, not having transit times is a huge step backwards from Google Maps.  I know Apple say 3rd party developers will come and fix that, but having downloaded a couple of the apps they recommend when I tried a...
I'm liking it so far.  The upgrade was smooth and easy as they always seem to be.   Safari seems to be snappier, though having really got to like the Mercury browser, I'm not sure I'm ready to move back to Safari. The Maps application I like a great deal.  From the point of view of it being a map, it's much better than Google, with it being clearer and more readable.  I really like that.  I don't like the fact that when you select a transit search it just sends...
I'm assuming when you next buy a ticket using Fandango it will appear in Passbook.
About two months ago, I ran over a pair with the car by mistake.   That soon took them apart!