or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

Actually the problem is that tax systems have not rebalanced based on globalization having happened.   Starbucks in the UK are a spectacular example of this.  They have paid less than 1% corporation tax on GBP3bn of sales since 1998 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397) vs. a main rate of 24%.  They've done that by effectively making themselves "unprofitable" in the UK due to the extremely high price they pay their coffee supplier.  The fact that their coffee...
  I wonder why Apple tried to make use of the legal system "over there" then.   If the legal system "over there" had made the decision you wanted, you'd think it was fine.   The truth is, this was clearly a case in the gray.  If it was clear-cut that Apple would win, Samsung wouldn't have let it goto court - they would have settled out of court.  Thats the exact time you need a third party to decide one way or another.  Just because you like Apple more than you like...
Why is he obviously biased?  Because he didn't find on the side you wanted him to?   Had he found in favor of Apple, would it have been OK for someone who likes Samsung products to say he is "obviously biased" and asked to have him stand down?
  I'm not a "quota" guy either, but you're right, the team is very male.  They are representative of other similar companies however.  Yahoo! break the trend, though only by having a female CEO - the rest of the 'C' level people are male.   Companies generally aren't doing that well at promoting women, but engineering has a terrible track record of promoting female engineers, which is born of our inability to attract female engineers.   It's actually a serious problem for...
This was bound to happen whenever there was a CEO change.  Truth is, in most companies, a good number of people who report to the CEO will think they themselves could do the job and should be successor.  That being the case, when the CEO goes, some people are going to be disappointed.  Some react well and stay, some react badly and leave.  Weak CEOs allow the ones who act badly to not leave, then they have a disaster on their hands.   When I was at Applied Materials...
Apple TV is the best example of why Apple products are great.  It is limited in what it can do, but it does what it does perfectly.  You're under no illusions about what you're buying.   I think that's really what makes their design philosophy so strong.  Microsoft are keen to have the Surface do everything - it will be a tablet and a PC (if you attach a keyboard to it) and it will do neither especially well.  The iPad however is 100% tablet and it does that really...
  I think there's some truth in that.  My iMac is three years old now, and it still runs great.  Much though I'd like one of the new ones, I'm finding it hard to justify buying one, since my current one continues to do what I need it to very well.   Ten years ago, I would have upgraded my compter (which at the time was a PC - shudder) every couple of years, since the increased processor speed made a very appreciable difference in general computing tasks, but now, I don't...
  Finally, the North of England gets better treatment than London.  Normally most companies are entirely London-centric when it comes to the UK, but not this time.  Apple manage to include even the tiny Croft Spa station, near Darlington.  I'll grant you, the fact that Croft Spa station closed in 1969 and was demolished in the 1970's makes it a little odd, but there you go!    
  If $250 for the entry level model is right, it's going to cause some problems for the Kindle Fire HD.   I'll be interested to see the specs.  I'm hoping it will be significantly lighter than the current iPad.  I find the iPad 3 a pain to read with for any length of time, and am hoping the iPad Mini will be lighter enough to solve that problem.  Failing that, I'm going to get a regular Kindle again.
  Effectively the first person to use the ticket blocks it from the system.  If I forwarded my MLB ticket to someone else, then I went into the ballpark ahead of them, they would be refused entry.   It's no different to photocopying your "print at home" tickets.  The barcodes are unique and can only be used once.