or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

The bulk discount seems pretty miserly though.  3 1/3% off if you buy 3!     I think the EU directive basically agreed upon specs for the power supplies that were needed, and actual connectors to the device can be offered using an adaptor from micro USB.  I would guess Apple can still do that. It seems to me that what everyone is standardizing on anyway is a power adaptor that has a standard USB port on it, then you just plug in whichever cable you need.  The power...
  I find myself in a similar position.  I've got an iPad 3, and I can't remember the last time I opened anything other than Mail, Safari or iBooks.  Really, $600 has proven to be a lot of money for just that, and while the iPad 3's screen is stellar for reading, the size and weight of it makes it not that pleasant of an experience.   I'm holding out to see if the iPad mini rumors are true.  If they turn out not to be, in 6 months or so I can see myself selling the iPad...
  This is a very good point, except for claiming you literally felt nauseated.  Really?  You felt like you were going to barf!   This is one of these things when reading a pro-Apple site (and the comments) does come across as slightly ridiculous, since the articles seem to have a massive aversion to being critical of anything Apple do.   The fact is, for some people (and I include myself here), losing Street View is a pain in the arse (and that's all it is, a pain in the...
  $7-10bn for an advanced megafab these days.
  Tim Cook is pretty much doing the only thing he can though, in terms of part supply.  Samsung are such a large part of DRAM and Flash manufacture that if Apple were to rule them out they would end up paying far more than they do, and possibly even having problems getting enough devices.   Even with the processor manufacture, TSMC has had problems getting new geometries going for the past 2-3 technology nodes, so Apple are kind of stuck with Samsung for that at the...
  But that's clearly happening.  She hasn't said it won't goto the jury if they don't speak to each other again, she's just nudged them to consider it again.  It costs neither side nothing to at least think about it.   Judge Koh, from what I've read, seems to have handled a difficult case pretty well to me.  Ultimately her job is to ensure a fair outcome to the case - if she thinks there is a greater chance of that happening by trying to get the parties talking again,...
  I don't see how on earth she isn't doing her job.  She's just giving both sides the opportunity to settle this in a way that may end up with a fairer result.  The truth is, juries can be inconsistent, especially in cases like this.   Ultimately, whichever way this goes, I think Apple will be better off once it's over and done with.  Having worked for a company that got involved in prosecuting a patent infringement, I know how much of the senior executives and senior...
I've been using an app called Sleep Cycle as my alarm for a while now.  It lets you pick your music, but it also trys to wake you up when you're naturally coming out of deep sleep anyway.  Basically you set the time you have to be awake, and put the thing on the corner of your bed (you can't put it to sleep, or it doesn't work, so you have to plug your phone in), and it monitors your movement, and with 30 minutes to go until your wakup time, if it sees you starting to...
I hope this helps all apps on the phone work more smoothly as there is transition between WiFi and Cellular.   I use TuneIn Radio a lot, and typically start listening in the house as I'm getting ready to walk the dog.  I pick the local NPR station, and it plays me their standard, "this audio stream is brought to you courtesy of xyz", then starts playing the radio station.  Then, as I walk away from the house, the phone will suddenly switch over to Cellular for the...
  I think you miss the point though, I wasn't forced into the Apple ecosystem, but I am kind of stuck in it.   This is going to be controversial, but having looked at a colleagues Windows phone, I actually really like it, and would consider getting one when my iPhone is ready for replacement (unless of course the iPhone 5 is a big step forwards), but the thing that will stop me is the fact that I've spent a lot on iPhone apps, and have all my stuff in iTunes or...