or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

While I enjoy my iPhone and iPad, my heart belongs to the Mac. I spend 8 hours every day staring at that thing. I'm so happy that while it's becoming a smaller part of Apples money making machine, the Mac still gets the full treatment from them.
Thanks Marvin. Yeah, I know they are likely to bump them tomorrow, but the retina Mac I got I found just sat in our store cupboard at work (we always have a bunch of laptops sat ready for someone to use if theirs breaks, I decided to bag this one and leave my old one as a "loaner"), so we've owned it for a while.   Appreciate the feedback.  I'd not thought about using an SD card.  Since I have a 64Gb card in my bag right now, I'll give it a bash!
Hi everyone;   I'm looking for a bit of advice.   Last week, I switched out my 2012 Macbook Pro, with a 2013 "retina" MBP.  The new machine is awesome, but the SSD it has is significantly smaller than the mechanical drive I had in my old machine.   For the most part, this is no problem.  The challenge however, is very occasionally I need to use a couple of Windows applications.  On my old MBP, I just had Parallels and Windows installed on the internal hard drive.  It...
No.
 A chap at work is using a Surface Pro as his only work computer now.  At first I felt sympathy for him (!), but he's extremely satisfied with it.  This is a very successful guy by the way, in a very senior position of a very high tech software company, so when he tells me it's a good work solution, I'm happy to believe him. Playing around with it myself, the keyboard really did make a difference.  I love my iPad, and would probably be able to make it work as my primary...
 I agree.  I'm a massive fan of iTunes radio, and have bought loads more music in the last couple of weeks than I have in the last 12 months, but it did irk me when I realized I'd managed to buy a track I already owned!  Stupid mistake on my behalf, but it can't be that hard for Apple to not display the "purchase" link if I already have it on iTunes Match.
 They won't be guessing that Samsung are involved.  There will be all manner of identifiers in the device that if you know what you're looking for, will identify it as a Samsung manufactured part. You're right that the part will have to be probe tested, but Samsung won't have been doing that for Apple.  The production fab is rarely the place that the device is probe tested and packaged (even Intel ship a lot of their finished wafers to China for probe test, dicing and...
 Probably not. As the chip goes through pilot and into production, Apple will have been guiding the device through the fab.  Ultimately, assuming Samsung didn't get a lot of chance to look very closely at the reticles used in photo (and Apple will have guarded access to them closely), it's very difficult to tell the structure of a device as it's manufactured, beyond being able to see generally, that part is memory, that part is logic etc. As long as you name your recipes...
I certainly think it should be preserved.  Considering in the biography, Jobs said that his design aesthetic was influenced by growing up in an Eichler home (ignoring the fact that this is clearly not an Eichler home), would suggest that something that played a part in the thought processes of a man who influenced design so much should be considered important.   Until right now, when I Googled it, I had no idea where it was.  I didn't realize that every time I go to meet...
It's been an easy decision for me to upgrade iOS on release day for multiple upgrades now.  Apples beta test process seems to be good enough that any bugs there are tend to be utterly trivial.   For this upgrade, I've not seen any problems though.  I'm really happy with it. The only thing I don't like is the "click to return to call" message that appears at the top of the screen if you go into another screen when you're making a call.  The green then is awful!  That...