or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

When a crash comes, the companies that actually make money tend to hold up OK. Companies like Facebook, with a P/E of 110 will struggle.   Zynga with a market cap of $4.22bn despite never having posted a profit will struggle. I heard someone suggest a Spotify IPO could value them at $24bn.  They are losing money. Amazon with a P/E of 590.  How can that be justified?  They can't keep growing forever...... Apple with a P/E of 13 and actual profits will be OK. Microsoft with...
There's another tech stock crash coming...........
I didn't know that, thanks. It's not a great workaround, but it is a workaround of sorts.
 I hope they open up Keychain a bit more.  I think iCloud Keychain is both tremendous and useless. I signed up for a Kickstarter account, and given this weekends news I fortunately had Safari create a password for me.  It works great, until you download the Kickstarter app and can't log into it, because you don't know the password. Had the same problem with my Nest thermostat and their app this weekend. If they can allow authorized apps to see the passwords in iCloud...
 I saw a commercial from Microsoft the other day, highlighting the line of products that all run Windows 8, banging on about the Nokia phone with 41MP camera (I think it's 41) etc. and I just didn't have any reaction whatsoever.  Even when I switched to Macs in 2005, I still had some reaction to what Microsoft were doing, either intrigue, dislike, or, in the case of Xbox360 being impressed, but in the past couple of years I have literally no reaction to them anymore.  To...
 The article doesn't say anything about salaries. I'm saying that in my experience of hiring software engineers in the Valley, Apple are not paying in line with companies they are competing with for talent.
No, anecdotal evidence does not equal fact, but the fact that neither Apple, nor any of the big tech companies, are going to boldly publish all of their salaries, anecdotal evidence is what we have. I can tell you from experience that when I've been recruiting software engineers, and I've had someone from Apple apply, compensation has never been a barrier for me hiring them - I've always been offering more than Apple pay. I assume you want Apple to have the best people...
We're not in the ranking list Apple are (we don't qualify as a "large" company).  We also have some cultural issues as well.  I don't put us up as a model company, what I do say is that many companies (us included) pay significantly more than Apple.
You can believe whatever you like.I was genuinely stunned by how low the salaries are at Apple.  I've never heard of any software engineer making over $200k at Apple.  For comparison, in my team at another Silicon Valley tech company (a big one), I don't have any software engineers making less than $200k.
I think there is some accuracy in this.  I don't know anyone at Apple who isn't at least D-level who aren't unhappy.  In the past year, two of my friends have quit, due to the extremely long hours, extensive travel, and, while the stock has not been doing well, poor compensation.   Apple do need to compete for the best people, and at the moment, the only thing they compete well on is that they are a "cool" brand.  Their pay is significantly worse than companies...