or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

Then you know nothing about manufacturing.When you first put a new device into production, it's not a time when throwing more money at a problem will fix it quicker.  Issues have to be worked through before you can ramp production.
I've just been blown away by Apple customer service with regards the watch.   I placed my order (42mm Stainless Steel, Black Classic Buckle) as soon as the iPhone App came back online, but in my panic to press the order button as quickly as possible, I forgot to apply a $350 gift card I had to the order.   Just called Apple Customer Service, and the agent couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.  Applied the gift card for me, helped me with a few other things, just a...
Got my order in at 12:02 PST using the Apple Store app on my iPhone
I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I hadn't tried Siri for about two years since it was absolutely hopeless (for me) when it first launched. I tried it again last week, and was blown away by how good it is. I don't have an especially easy to understand accent, yet it gets everything right now - it's absolutely fantastic!
It's not on the banking side if your bank supports it. HSBC, the second biggest bank in the world, still don't support it. Fuckers!
This is why Apple succeeds where Google fails. For Glass, Google went out of their way to make sure only dorks had them. I associated them with looking like a boring git before they were even for sale. Apple gets that they need to get them in the hands of "cool" people first.
Yeah, I think what's different here though is that Apple from memory tend to give their employees 25% off one item per year, 20% off another, and 15% off everything. 50% is more than they normally give. Not a bad move though.  My experience is giving your employees electronics has a disproportionate impact on their happiness.  Giving all my software guys two Thunderbolt monitors has given far more happiness than increasing their pay by $2k would have!
Apple employees tend not to be able to get the discounts until supply constraints are gone.
 That's really useful, thanks Anant.  I think I'm going to go the extra step of running an ethernet cable from my modem to my Mac so I can't suffer some WiFi related mishap as well! Out of interest, when you've managed to get an order in within the first 15 minutes, has that usually equated to a release day delivery?
 That you conflate homosexuals with child molesters is risible.