or Connect

Posts by PaulMJohnson

The US system isn't just skewed in favor of billionaires.  I'm in the process of buying a house in downtown San Jose.  The mortgage is going to be enormous, so I'm going to have a massive amount to write off on my taxes.  I should be able to get my effective tax rate down to well below that of someone who can only afford to rent in San Jose.   It's an act of doublethink that I'm thankful for this, but I'm not convinced it's fair.
  And fair!   I agree with you though, this is an excellent move.  Rather than complaining about companies doing something that is perfectly legal, if they don't like it, they are there to change the laws to achieve their aims.
"I could care less" when you mean "I couldn't care less" gets me irritated.   If you could care less, that means you at least care a bit.
It's not necessarily a bad idea from Munster, if IBM is looking to offload their process development, but as always, it would come down to cost. If Apple wanted to spin up it's own process development from scratch, it would cost it more than $2bn. When I worked at Applied Materials, we had a "fab" for doing advanced process development, and it was staggeringly expensive. Ultimately, getting into process development involves building a fab, only this is a fab where you...
That's such a lazy argument.  It basically boils down to, if you don't slavishly think Apple are perfect, don't have an opinion, just change to something else.   I happen to not think Google Maps is perfect.  I think the interface, when compared with Apple Maps, is a pile of shit.  Nokia's offering (Here Maps) has some plusses and minuses as well.   However, the opinion I'm airing is that if I had my druthers, Apple would sort out the search, since I'd like to be able to...
That's all well and good, but the interface Maps has (on iOS) is already impressive.  The problem is the search facility is awful.  It's taken me to places that don't exist so many times that I only use Google Maps now.   In terms of the version for the Mac, having just started using a new beta of Google Maps in a browser, Apple have a fight on their hands here.  The new Google Maps is very impressive.
The Metro interface was quite innovative.   It was shit, but it was quite innovative!
I've only seen two people wearing glass so far and they looked like such stereotypical nerds that I was put off for life. Google needed to give the first batch to cool people. Not to a bunch of dorks.
I see the Metro interface in screenshots and videos and think, "that looks pretty neat".   Then I actually use it and think, "that's a piece of shit".   I think the problem is (and you see it in the ads for the tablets), Microsofts got it in their heads that were all ultra cool, urban hipsters who incorporate dancing with our tablets in meetings, and obviously want to constantly change our desktop look and feel to show how hip and individual we...
  Took around 4 months for the first one I reported, and 5 months for the second (they were actually reported at about the same time).   These weren't small errors either, the railway station in Darlington (town of 100,000, annual passengers 2.5 million), wasn't shown at all, but a tiny station 4 miles away, called Croft Station (village of 470, annual passenges 0 since the station closed in 1969 and was demolished in the 1970s) was.   Reporting the problem on the phone...