or Connect

Posts by SinisterJoe

Even without the cannibalization angle it wasn't a very good quarter for Mac products. Late MBA & MBP updates, supply issues with the rMBP, no update to the iMac, Mac Mini or Mac Pro. It would not surprise me a bit if that ends up accounting for a 10-15% drop in sales alone. Apple really has to start doing a better job getting updates out in a timely fashion. When they are doing major redesigns it's worth waiting but just a spec bump here and there? They should be doing...
Yes. If I need the performance of a high-end MacBook Pro I'm going to be replacing it every 2 years or so when Intel does their major revisions. There's no other reason to buy a high end laptop in the first place. It's like you're asking if I'm really going to buy an ice cream cone that I will eat and in 15 minutes or so I won't have the ice cream cone anymore. Well yeah -- duh. If I want another ice cream cone I will go get another one. I expect an ice cream cone to last...
Unfortunately both Bing Maps and Google Maps now cost money to use commercially. They are certainly better services but a lot of developers/sites just aren't going to have a choice. They'll have to dump mapping or use OSM. So it's not a choice of good vs. bad -- it's a choice of something vs. nothing.
Yep that's exactly it. They need to look at all the individual chemicals/materials involved, the different treatments that need to be applied to them, the quality/uniformity of mass production, and finally they need to design a process to do it on a very large scale. They simply bought the patent rights 2 years ago to make sure no one else got there first. When they finally do produce a mainstream product with LM it's not going to be an iPad, iPhone or even a MacBook. It...
I think there's plenty of room in the market for two different iPhone models. It seems that Jobs was dead set on 3.5" being the perfect size for everyone but I'm not sure Tim Cook is as idealistic about these things. For Apple's bottom line an iPhone Pro at 4.6" is sure to carry a bigger margin -- certainly they do fine selling half a dozen different types of Macs, so I don't see why there shouldn't be different size iPhones at some point. Developers will have to do a...
iTunes is developed independently of the OS. You're not going to see major changes to iTunes in beta OSX updates.
iPad 2 HD sounds about right. Apple tends to save major version upgrades for products that look physically different. I think it's also part of their planned upgrade cycles for customers. Apple knows most people who bought an iPad 2 aren't going to rush out and buy an iPad 2012 model. So they keep the design and name similar to communicate that the new model has 'nice to have' features but isn't such a huge generational leap that you should have buyers remorse over your...
Syncing calendars, contacts, bookmarks and reading list between devices. Syncing data between devices when apps support iCloud Storage (work in progress) On the Mac side you get Back To My Mac which is pretty neat. Basically you can remotely access your Macs. So if you have an iMac at home and a MacBook you just see your iMac at all times. You can screen share, transfer files, etc. It will even wake up your iMac at home if it's asleep. Find my iPhone/Mac/iPad (with...
I can't tell if Nintendo is just stubborn and delusional in thinking people are going to revert back to separate handheld gaming systems or if they are thinking of making their own SmartPhone. I think either one is a huge long-shot for Nintendo at this point.
Makes sense. For ~50% of iPhone owners it's a no-brainer upgrade (non-iPhone 4 owners) and some studies show about 89% of them want another iPhone. Most of them are eligible for a subsidized upgrade or can switch carriers. I got my iPhone 4 a bit late (almost exactly 1yr ago) but I still went for the 4S because I was able to re-sell my iPhone 4 for $400. So it's a $50 upgrade for me (plus 2 year contract that I would have either way) and I'll just repeat it when the...