or Connect

Posts by sirozha

So, if my iPhones are 64 GB, my iPad is 128GB, and my Macs are 1 TB, and if I buy 200 GB of iCloud storage, what happens when I upload a photo library that is 150 GB? Am I limited by the size of flash memory in my iPhone? Apple said that every photo will automatically sync across all devices using iCloud photos, and all of the photos will be stored in iCloud. Obviously, it's not possible to jam 150 GB worth of photos in the 64 GB of storage on the iPhone or 128 GB on the...
Overall faster is not a scientific definition. If you are interested in editing and transcoding high-definition videos but are not planning to drive 4K resolution monitors, you should go with the 2012 i-7 quad-core 2.6 GHz Mac Mini. If you can help it, buy it with the least amount of RAM (if you buy it refurb from Apple) and upgrade RAM to 16 GB for around $75.If you are interested in driving 4K displays, go with the 2014 Mini. I don't know how well the highest-end i7...
Well, Phil Schiller did say that the Mac Mini was an entry-level Mac for switchers. This is what they planned this computer for all along but got carried away a little with the 2011 and 2012 high-end Mac Minis. They are back where they wanted Mac Mini to be. I'm glad I got two 2012 i7 2.6 GHz quad-core CPU Mac Minis two years ago. I will be keeping them for some time until 27" retina iMacs get under $2000.
I doubt you can even play video on the 27" Cinema Display using your Mac Mini 2009. I used to have a 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2009 with Mini Display Port, and even though it could drive the 27" Cinema Display for static content (like regular desktop elements, word processing, and even Aperture photo editing), as soon as I would try to play video from Aperture or Youtube, everything would become extremely jerky. As soon as I replaced that MacBook Pro with a 2012 Mac Mini...
I'm no expert in profession audio, video, or photo editing, but I heard that video transcoding of high-definition video, especially 4K takes some serous compute power, and that one needs to have at least a four-core CPU to be able to do this. So, your definition of "professional" may differ from what others call "professional". If you are able to do "professional-level video-editing" on your late-2009 Mac Mini, which is a dual-core CPU with 8 GB of RAM, I wonder why Apple...
HDD killed all the performance on 2012 Minis. Fusion Drive is a huge improvement even when pared with the 5000 RPM HDD. Those 2012 Minis had great specs, but without Fusion or SDD, those specs didn't help much. This time around, apple is pairing the specs to the drive performance. For a regular consumer, the mid-range 2014 Mini with 8 GB of RAM and Fusion drive will be just fine. It's only power users who realize they have been pushed out of the Mac Mini line into much...
That all depends on the purpose. The graphics on the 2014 Mini is definitely much better than that of 2012 Mini. However, the non-graphic processing power of the 2012 2.6 GHz Quad-core i-7 Mini beats the 3.0 GHz 2014 dual-core I-7 Mini. For those running moderate server tasks on the Mini, the 2014 model is a travesty. For those who need to drive a 4K display with moderate consumer-grade apps, the 2014 model is the way to go. However, let's be clear, Mac Mini 2014 cannot be...
Fusion Drive makes a HUGE difference. Definitely get it. There's absolutely no point in my book to get a large SSD. If you are planning to run a VM in VMware Fusion or in Parallels, and/or do serious video and/or photo editing as well as gaming, definitely get 16GB of RAM. If RAM is soldered on, you should plan ahead; otherwise, get the 8 GB and see if yo are satisfied with the performance, and upgrade later if you need to. You can't get 8 GB in one slot if you are...
This was pulled most likely due to the fact that Photos for IOS 8 doesn't sync properly with iPhoto or Aperture for OS X. Both iPhoto and Aperture have been deprecated, and OS X Yosemite will be released with iPhoto replaced by the Photos app for OS X, which should work seamlessly for syncing with the Photos app in iOS 8 via iCloud Photo Library.  By the way, what's happening with iPhoto for iOS in iOS 8? Is it still available? Did they change anything in iPhoto for iOS?...
What's the difference between Photo Stream and iCloud Photos at this point?   My understanding is that  iCloud Photos replaced Photo stream, and the difference between the two is that Photo Stream was used for syncing between different devices on the same iCloud account with only up to 1000 photos and up to 30 days worth of photos being in the iCloud storage for each account, while the older photos had been pushed out of Photo Stream and were only residing locally on...