or Connect

Posts by sirozha

When the multitouch trackpad came out in 2008 on MacBook Air, the way to highlight a sentence and to drag an object was a double tap with hold after the second tap with dragging without letting go after the second tap-and-hold. A couple years layer, Apple came out with a three-finger tap and drag for that purpose. When they did, they obsoleted the double-tap-hold-and-drag method. It can still be enabled, but it's not listed as a gesture in the Trackpad preference pane...
Is this going to be a hot line to the NSA?
Why Apple doesn't enable Airplaying audio to iOS devices is beyond me. I need to be able to use an iOS device to receive audio from an Apple TV so that we can watch a show after my child goes to sleep without a risk of waking him up. I had to jailbreak my iPad in order to install Airfloat from Cydia. It works like a charm even when the iPad screen goes black and the iPad locks. I have a headphone splitter made by Belkin that I plug into the iPad, and both my wife and I can...
Bonjour is a multicast based protocol. Multicast doesn't propagate across Layer 3 boundaries without special configuration in routers. In your house, every device is on the same subnet, so there no benefit to not using Bonjour for the discovery of Airplay compatible devices. In corporate networks, there may be a layer 3 boundary between an Apple TV's network and the iOS device. So, the Airplay device discovery based on the physical proximity rather than on multicast is...
In Israel, 1.5 million Arabs are full Israeli citizens with representation in the Knesset, equal access to secondary and higher educations, well paid jobs, same transportation, same restaurants, same hotels, same hospitals, same level of medical care, same national healthcare plans, same entertainment venues, same parks, same political rights, equal pay for equal work, freedom of religion, etc. Besides enjoying equal rights with Jews, Israeli Arabs don't have to do the...
That's where my "if you are not lazy ..." statement was directed. A huge 5-seater truck bought to "satisfy both needs" is a bad financial decision. Compare the gas mileage of such a truck to a regular family sedan, the price premium, the difference is sales tax, property tax, insurance, etc. It makes no financial sense to purchase a pickup truck that "serves both needs". By the same token, purchasing a Tesla Model S at today's price makes no financial sense. It does make...
If you read my comment more attentively, you will see that I never made an argument that a Model S can compare favorably in the cost of ownership with owning an "internal-combustion-engine" vehicle. I was speaking about Nissan Leaf and the future Tesla that will cost in the $30,000 range.  My argument about the "twisted ideas about owning a vehicle" was directed at the notion that one would buy a truck in order to "haul stuff". I cannot tell you how many times I have heard...
 A lot of employers will have charging stations installed at employer's parking lot or parking garage. Stores will have charging stations at their parking lots. Where I live, Kohl's has already installed charging stations on their parking lots. There's nothing that prevents the owner of your apartment from installing chargers on the curb of the dedicated parking spaces. Is this something feasible in the near future for you? Probably not. Do you HAVE to buy an EV? If you...
If you are not lazy, spend a few minutes and calculate the cost of owning a vehicle that is used very infrequently. Then compare the cost of owning such a vehicle to renting one for the duration you think you would need it. Then, consider the fact that you would not need to have another parking space (or garage space) for such a vehicle if you were to rent it. Don't forget to include annual insurance cost for owning such a vehicle, annual property tax on such a vehicle,...
How do you obtain hydrogen from water? Any ideas other than harnessing energy generated by fossil fuels to get pure hydrogen?