or Connect

Posts by leighr

What we're seeing in Graphic Design now is a backlash to the use (and overuse) of the drop shadow. The drop shadow became synonymous with web design in the 90s-00's and popped up in print and media design everywhere. Soon anyone with MS Word could add an awful dark drop shadow to anything they wanted. As is the trend in many fields, when something becomes overused and cheap, it is abandoned. And so the flat trend has emerged, in mocking contrast to the tired old word-art...
Another "iPhone Killer" killed off by iPhone.
Certainly if Apple had come out with this it would have undoubtedly been labeled "underwhelming", however, the standard and expectation for Microsoft products is significantly lower. I agree that the landscape display doesn't work well for reading, unless it was word on the underside of the wrist, which would then make it readable. The main issue here is that its demographic is the health conscious fitness addict. Which is a sinificantly smaller market. It doesn't off many...
Actually, I'm sure there is part-by-part copying - as I said, it's a lot easier to look at each part, it's function, design, location and to copy that, than to start with nothing and say ok, let's make a phone.
There's a difference between taking a great idea (ie. the mobile phone) and reinventing/redesigning it to be something even greater (ie. the iPhone), versus someone taking an iPhone, pulling it apart and copying it part-by-part, hardware and software. That's stealing someone else's hard work. It's really easy to be second when someone else has done all the hard work first.
Hmm... New AppleTV next week maybe? It's been way too long....
Code:Take note, as said previously, there is a left-handed version available.
If they made a teeny-tiny "women's" version it wouldn't be much use would it. The sizes they have chosen are correct.
- I'm fairly happy with my prediction (above) made before the event. I was going to look back through old AI posts to pull up some old responses to the iPad launch, which always give me a chuckle (remember all those posters saying "why would anyone buy a big iPhone", "nobody wants a tablet", "Tablets are a fad that will die in 6 months".... but alas, I couldn't go back that far in AI history). Well, I think those folks have jumped on AI again to give us some more pearls...
Glad you're happy with the price point.