or Connect

Posts by EWTHeckman

Actually, that's part of what made Apple so successful. If an idea was so darned good that it survived such "editing" by Jobs, then it was practically guaranteed to be a success; in part because it was such a worthwhile idea, in part because those who thought it was a good idea kept after it, and in part because those who had the idea had to keep polishing and improving it to get Steve to accept it. If any old half-baked idea could get through, the resulting products will...
 What I ran into was actually MS Server 2012. It was freshly set up and booted to the desktop. I was accessing it remotely to do my work and it was the very first time I had seen that interface. There was no start menu or anything like it, no drives on the desktop, no visual access to the hard drives at all. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to get to the hard drive! That is too freakin' hard to figure out the most very basic of OS tasks. One of the major rules...
 Normally a simple tap will make the bars appear and disappear around a photo. Your 4S may just be slow enough that you've already tapped again by the time it responds to the first tap. In Safari the address bar at the top disappears when you scroll down. The idea is to make more room for the content. It's supposed to reappear as soon as you scroll up.
Microsoft and Apple are making the same basic mistake—following design fads at the expense of usability. Apple isn't sliding into the abyss quite as fast as MS (who managed to ship an OS with perfect security: no way to access anything), but that's cold comfort.   Apple because became awesome because their team included psychologists who not only helped design the interface, they tested their theories before shipping them. I haven't heard of psychologists on Apple's...
Quote: True. The antidote to that is competition, not price fixing, which was the case made against Apple and the publishers.  See "no one has any broad evidence for either side of the argument." One thing we can say for sure is that Amazon would not be so large and profitable if they did not have excellent control of their own infrastructure costs. Using such an actual cost advantage in competition is neither illegal nor immoral.
 Don't be silly. Just compare the ebook price to the paper book price. Compare the prices among platforms. The cost of producing each printed copy is necessarily higher than each copy of an ebook. The front end costs (editing, layout, paying the author, etc.) are the same. If the prices are in the same general range (and they usually are), then it's reasonable to conclude that they're not being sold below cost. Where is your evidence to back up your claim that they are...
 It's a guestimate (see the word "maybe") based on the number of ebooks Amazon has available plus the fact that Amazon actively advertises the "below cost" specials. Specials / Number Available = Percentage Edited to Add: I just checked Amazon's Kindle Books page. It says they currently have 2,501,582 Kindle books available. Their "Big Deal" page (defined as 85% off, likely below cost) lists 504 books. That means they are (assuming the publisher isn't giving a discount)...
 Direct observation. You can do it too.
 I've seen it argued many, many times that this is what Amazon has been doing. But I've got a wish list of more than 100 Kindle books with a price history maintained by eReaderIQ that shows otherwise. Occasionally selling a book below cost (maybe 0.000001% of their listings or less at any one time) is not a monopolistic practice.
 Read other comments for reasons why local synching is preferred. (Or just read the headlines about the NSA.) Part of the problem with Apple's deletion of synch services is that they announced after MS Office 2011 had shipped. Then killed it before the next development cycle, leaving Office users like me out in the cold.