or Connect

Posts by EWTHeckman

Key words: "All other things being equal." Yes, if everything else is equal, then diversity is fine. The reality is that they're not. First of all, there's not equal proportions of various groups in the general population. Furthermore, being a computer/technology company, Apple needs employees who enjoy technology and are good with it. As a general rule, males fit this description better than women. The same also applies to to other influences such as culture, access to...
 Exactly. What's the point of merely having it vibrate when touching something, as when you're typing? "Oo, I touched something! But I don't know what it was." What's the point? After all, it's not like most people can't feel their finger actually touch the screen.
 Hasn't Samsung used dancers in past ads. ;-)
Of course the Samsung's battery lasts longer! It's normal for unused devices to leave the charge in the battery.
IMHO, it would be great to work at Apple just to be able to work in that building.
 I don't think it's about the money to Samsung, it's about crushing their competitors. Pay the money to the lawyers. Pay the money to the courts. But whatever you do, avoid paying money to the people you've stolen from.
 Getting? I think they passed that stage a long time ago. For the record, when we bought a new washer and dryer, I specifically excluded Samsung from the list even though their models topped most reviews. Their behavior towards Apple (stealing their designs and their mocking commercials topping the list) demonstrates a level of unethical behavior that I'm just not willing to support in any way. A refrigerator is probably next, and it won't be Samsung either.
 Actually, that's part of what made Apple so successful. If an idea was so darned good that it survived such "editing" by Jobs, then it was practically guaranteed to be a success; in part because it was such a worthwhile idea, in part because those who thought it was a good idea kept after it, and in part because those who had the idea had to keep polishing and improving it to get Steve to accept it. If any old half-baked idea could get through, the resulting products will...
 What I ran into was actually MS Server 2012. It was freshly set up and booted to the desktop. I was accessing it remotely to do my work and it was the very first time I had seen that interface. There was no start menu or anything like it, no drives on the desktop, no visual access to the hard drives at all. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to get to the hard drive! That is too freakin' hard to figure out the most very basic of OS tasks. One of the major rules...
 Normally a simple tap will make the bars appear and disappear around a photo. Your 4S may just be slow enough that you've already tapped again by the time it responds to the first tap. In Safari the address bar at the top disappears when you scroll down. The idea is to make more room for the content. It's supposed to reappear as soon as you scroll up.