or Connect

Posts by patrickwalker

Crap. There are so many things out there superior to AutoCAD, on the Mac or otherwise. For example, I haven't used AutoCAD since 2002 or so and have moved over to Siemens NX. No doubt AutoDesk is worried that others have ported/porting their CAD packages to Mac. Siemens did it with NX a while back.
Conventional orthodoxy is a serious problem as it does little more than serve the interests of a select few and orthodoxy is in direct conflict with common sense. Apologists abound. For example, emancipation was considered "unorthodox" and extremist when it first began to surface in America in the early 1800s. Even today, look at how dumbfounded Goldman Sachs executives were when a Senate committee put simple questions and then tried to explain their behavior as normal...
The two biggest are self-evident if you've been paying attention over the last decade: usury and outsourcing. It is also not the entire private sector, but major players inside of it and the overarching ideology that has our society in its grip. The problem is mostly centred on the inbred, overpaid, moronic CEOs along with wannabes working their way up through the annals of bureaucracy to be CEOs one day. These CEOs pontificate and cloak themselves in the verbiage of...
The problem isn't that they are making too much, it's that everyone else has been making so little. Elizabeth Warren showed how screwed we are when a man today makes about $800.00 *less* than his father thirty years ago, and how a man today has to go into debt to get an education to even make that amount. The economy is broken and the rich ownership class at the top has been sucking all the productivity and real gains of the last thirty years for themselves... the...
I knew of LineForm before as an alternative to Illustrator and while capable, it doesn't do much of what I need to do that I can in Illustrator. But thanks to someone who pointed out Pixelmator. I'm very impressed with it as it does nearly everything I need an image editor to do at a fraction of the price I forked over for CS4. Looks like I may just need to buy Illustrator and get to ditch Photoshop...
Certainly not in numbers that RIM or Apple produce and while it would be unfair to compare directly, Android is going to be pushed into the el-Cheapo market whether they like it or not. For Android, selling 250,000 droid units in the first week was a success for them. How many iPhones 3GS units did Apple sell in the first week? 1.6 million and at a higher price point. People said the same thing about the build quality of the Palm Pre too.I agree with that. I'm still...
Google will get the numbers. The problem is that they will corner the market on the el-Cheapo section of the mobile phone market, which is currently led by Nokia and WinMo. Chances are that people who buy these Android phones will buy the cheapest phone they can get and likely won't use any of the extended smartphone features at all. Android will sort of be like background noise to them. As long as they can use the phone and an address book, everything else is...
. . . That's because WebKit is open source. That's how those "famous" 10-second Mac hacks in Vancouver happened. Four guys spent a full month scanning WebKit code, didn't tell Apple and made their splash at CanSecWest two years in a row. (D'oh, must have repied to the wrong posting. My bad.)
Microsoft didn't invent DOS. They bought that from Seattle Associates for a pittance after promising it first to IBM. Microsoft didn't even invent Windows NT either. That was a DEC project. You think that Microsoft had the capability to port their OS to something other than x86? As part of a deal with DEC, DEC gave Microsoft what became NT on the promise that Microsoft would continue to support their DEC Alpha chip. Microsoft barely did so.
Indeed. Actually, quite a bit. If you think that Google is Microsoft, it isn't. For starters, I don't think Google operatives are as crippled by bureaucratic inertia as Microsoft management is. But the biggest indicator, I feel, that Google will support older non-Google devices is from the simple fact that Google makes money from advertising, not from licensing. Microsoft's WinMo is crap because Microsoft doesn't really need to care. It gets money up front from the...