or Connect

Posts by patrickwalker

The DoJ (via Amazon complaint) could sue Apple over price subsidization.  It's illegal to use the excess profits from one part of your company to sell at a loss in order to monopolize.  IBM (eventually) got hammered by the DoJ for this during their System360 years.  Apple would clearly be doing so here as well.   The DoJ is a random, fickle organization.  With all the other price fixing out there, from metals, to food, to oil, to LIBOR, to ISDAfix, they chose to look...
  Not economically viable.  Why would you want to continue to build brick-and-mortar when everyone is going online to shop?  Seems to me that most people go to Apple stores to buy and service the items that are used to buy more of their purchasing online.  Sure, Apple could easily get these B&N locations cheap and sell off the ones that will never perform, which would likely be 99% of the these locations.   You also don't want to overbuild the Apple Store to the point the...
Here's an obvious question: is the ITC even needed anymore? Or it's merely for patronage appointments for politically-connected people now?
  The problem is the flood of passwords to really do anything online anymore.  Using the same ones over and over is a terrible idea.
  Sounds like what friends said about RIM.   This is nothing anyways.  Chrome is still in beta almost half a decade after launch?
  Actually, it's AMR meat.  Automated Meat Recovery.  As described, it's basically taking all the gristle and tendons and such, pulverized and mixed with colouring(s) and seasoning(s) then pushed through a strainer/sieve to remove bone.  The paste is then shaped, battered, then deep fried.  Then it's deep frozen, shipped, then refried before consumption.   This is also how TV dinner meats are made.  And the term here meat is used lightly because a good percentage of it...
Wonder how much in the way of harmful chemicals and processes will be required.  Then, in comparison with existing farming techniques, how much more devastation will it unleash.  Also, how much power will this require?  If we have to build a new coal plant for every 10 pounds of meat, I'm not sure we'll have that much in the way of carbon offsetting. Plus, if it is energy intensive, how does this help deal with the coal mining company practice of mountaintop...
  I wouldn't calling this helping humanity at all.  Sounds more like attempting to preserve a human behaviour that shouldn't be encouraged.   It's getting to the point where even I question science.  That's why I stressed the problem of commercialized science above.  The more we continue on, the more it seems the technological solutions to the problems arising from technology turn out to not be solutions at all.  People joke that a person now has to take a drug to counter...
Another UFO: Unidentifiable Food-like Object.  That's what I would call food in stalls on the streets of Delhi, Agra or Ahmadabad.     Now, this is truly a genuine UFO.   Heaven help me if the time ever arises and I do an Oliver Twist asking for another bowl of this Son of Pink Slime beef.       I think people are also not succumbing to quick deaths from simple cuts and injuries.  That's one major reason why there appears to be a rising level of cancers and other...
Not sure, but a lot of people I know eat substantially *less* beef now than we did when we were younger, and that's including the rise in incomes. The only truly sustainable way forward is reduction, which is clearly what no one really wants to do. They choose to instead turn to commercialized science to provide solutions to problems. But at the end of the day, it seems increasingly more frequent that the solutions are often becoming more and more problematic. Still,...