or Connect

Posts by waldobushman

I went to the link recommended in this article which gives instructions on how to get automatic updates of flash. That adobe forum page tells me I'm running Flash 16.0.0.235, and I'm running Firefox on a Window 8 machine. Say what? My version is actually 16.0.0.287, running Safari on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 So much for Adobe program quality.
Note: all the information presented was based on a fairly small sample of respondents. I don't know how the sample was chosen nor how representative the sample was. The safe bet is to wait until the actual numbers are published. 
We'll see how well MS pulls this off. It might give Apple a run for its money, as it did, finally with Windows 3.1. Apple shouldn't be listening to its fanboy base and take this competition seriously. The ability to run same software on multiple devices cannot be oversold. Apple's lame attempts to make Pages, Numbers applications work on OS X, iOS, and web resulted in complete loss of functionality -- they're not even toy applications any more. And Apple's iBook...
Who needs to run Windows? I certainly don't anymore. Both Parallels and VM Fusion cause big performance problems running Windows OS and Windows apps. But, the ability to do so and the use of BootCamp (which I've never used) couldn't be a better marketing tool for Macs and for those wanting buy a Mac but needing an argument for purchasing an expensive Mac over a cheap PC. 
Apple doesn't have enough software developers and expertise to continue iOS and Mac OS upgrades -- that is obvious. Pages and iBooks are crap software now -- not even comparable to the freeware given out with new Windows PCs. And, they're abandoning software development for movies, photos. Adding a new OS for the iWatch is not going to help. Perhaps they are taking on too much of the philosophy of Jonny Ive where simplicity and elegance trump functionality. That is, a...
Can you say "wild speculation"? Software is of minor importance. First, sensors for health issues need to be invented and developed. In many cases, this means sensors that can be embedded. Think of this as a 20-year development cycle -- typical in research to product. All this needs to be in development at the university level. Assuming we're 10 years into the research phase, we've got 10 more years before useful products will be available -- and at a high initial...
I'm not sure Apple is relying on their hardware or software for HealthKit, but likely they will have something to market in the future. Mostly, Apple's contribution will be at the infrastructure stage: HealthKit and API's, hardware support for analysis of sensor data, realtime support in iOS, guidelines for third party hardware and software developers, and an organizational component that will consult and encourage the development of third party monitoring devices.  There...
Given the specs on the apple watch, I predict a flop. One thing to watch for: does apple correct the watch weaknesses before launch, so does it launch in spite of the weaknesses? Withings Active' Pop at $150 looks like a winner. Now, this has the functionality, 8 month battery, waterproof to 30m.
If the iWatch is incapable of performing real world use as a watch, it will not be capable of performing all the other functions it was supposedly designed to do. Say the function is as an alarm -- a haptic function that is supposed to be present. Well, if the watch is sitting bedside charging overnight, the haptic functionality isn't going to work. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. One useful function of a well-designed watch might be to monitor your...
Research. Easy. Just look at the specs on the Apple site. Done. Runs only one day requiring recharging; my current Timex watch runs 12 months before I have to change the battery. I wear my Timex 24x7; Apple Watch has to be taken off to charge every day. I wear my Timex in the shower; iWatch not waterproof. I wear my Timex while swimming and is good down to 50m; iWatch not water proof -- maybe it can handle getting rained on. My Timex cost me $40 about 6 years ago,...