or Connect

Posts by waldobushman

This is more serious than the issue of dumb people. Java executions should be sandboxed. I sounds like, at least for some versions of Java, users are able to install and execute either native libraries that Java will access to Java code using JNDI to get unlimited access to the machine.    However, is PowerPC and Rosetta still important. I haven't missed Rosetta since it was pulled from the OS and I haven't missed the programs that utilized it.
There may be others issues involved with EPEAT and Apple, but most of us, even the Apple haters should recognize that easy repair and disassembly is a questionable standard. At least in the US.    I used to repair and recycle all sorts of devices many years ago, not as any expert, but as just a normal guy with some knowledge and the ability to follow directions. Did a vacuum tube our TV fail? Okay, identify the tube and do down to the local TV repair store and buy a...
Wishful thinking. What I described is today, and for the foreseeable future. Yes, in the generations to come, maybe these mountains will be dug up and the fetid materials reused, and somewhere in academia, scientists (or maybe just philosophers) are considering how this might be done, but at this time, your vision is too similar to a dream sequence. A more likely scenario is the one proposed in the movie "Idiocracy". 
More government is not the problem, at least not in the sense you mean. It is too much government when the government subsidizes and encourages companies to send work abroad. It has nothing to do with environmental protections. In addition, government policies always favor the big guy over the little guy even though 75% of jobs are the little guy.   In addition, investors, in cahoots with the big bankers, contribute nothing to the US economy and in fact are actively...
You should really take a half day out of your important life and visit, say, the local dump. Many of the hills one sees are mountains of garbage. Stay and watch while truckloads come and dump their loads. You will first enter a large secured site, and drive miles of dirty roads as you climb the "mountain". The dirty underneath your car wasn't there a decade ago, but excavated from deepening holes and dumped on top of garbage, then spread out by heavy equipment which...
Just the opposite. Maybe a programmer who is just a hack might see it Posner's way, but those programmers who have been in the field for decades can attest to the high level of invention that has been involved in the work we are able to do today. LIke most consumers, with heads in the sand, too many seem to believe what we see and can do today was not the result of hard work of often many people. Much were given away, most supported by governments paying the salaries and...
Like most (really almost all) lawyers, judges, politicians and other power brokers, who are mathematically and scientifically illiterate, Posner was an English major (others of like ilk are history or political "science" or journalism or business majors) in college, then got his law degree from Harvard. He's very persuasive among the substantively incompetent.    Addendum: However, substantive mastery of math and the sciences is no guarantee of quality thinking...
My bets are 90% chance that iMac and iPad-mini are not retina. Retina displays are simply too expensive and too difficult to make to be the default screen resolution, and just as important, the hardware necessary to drive that many pixels is also too expensive and power-hungry. The engineering and manufacturing of displays and GPUs will have to improve; the time is not now and not this year. 
Having settled with Proview for $60M, Apple is going to be harassed for all their worth.    Cook is not showing the backbone that Jobs had. Apple will pay dearly for Cook's miscalculation; they're an easy target now. Unless Apple management gets a backbone, it will follow RIMM and Nokia to the grave.
"The use of industry standard patents in litigation is a sticky matter and some pundits argue that governmental bodies like the FTC should not involve themselves in what are essentially contract disputes. Others, however, say that such issues are within the commission's jurisdiction given that the technologies apply to the broader market and are thus relevant in antitrust allegations."   You know these "some pundits" don't know what they are talking about when they...