or Connect

Posts by waldobushman

Just the opposite. Maybe a programmer who is just a hack might see it Posner's way, but those programmers who have been in the field for decades can attest to the high level of invention that has been involved in the work we are able to do today. LIke most consumers, with heads in the sand, too many seem to believe what we see and can do today was not the result of hard work of often many people. Much were given away, most supported by governments paying the salaries and...
Like most (really almost all) lawyers, judges, politicians and other power brokers, who are mathematically and scientifically illiterate, Posner was an English major (others of like ilk are history or political "science" or journalism or business majors) in college, then got his law degree from Harvard. He's very persuasive among the substantively incompetent.    Addendum: However, substantive mastery of math and the sciences is no guarantee of quality thinking...
My bets are 90% chance that iMac and iPad-mini are not retina. Retina displays are simply too expensive and too difficult to make to be the default screen resolution, and just as important, the hardware necessary to drive that many pixels is also too expensive and power-hungry. The engineering and manufacturing of displays and GPUs will have to improve; the time is not now and not this year. 
Having settled with Proview for $60M, Apple is going to be harassed for all their worth.    Cook is not showing the backbone that Jobs had. Apple will pay dearly for Cook's miscalculation; they're an easy target now. Unless Apple management gets a backbone, it will follow RIMM and Nokia to the grave.
"The use of industry standard patents in litigation is a sticky matter and some pundits argue that governmental bodies like the FTC should not involve themselves in what are essentially contract disputes. Others, however, say that such issues are within the commission's jurisdiction given that the technologies apply to the broader market and are thus relevant in antitrust allegations."   You know these "some pundits" don't know what they are talking about when they...
My guess is Steve Jobs was right about Flash not because of some animosity towards Adobe or Flash per se, but because of the culture at Apple -- a culture which he brought to Apple when he came back. Perfection.    I suspect he was just as hard, if not harder, on the engineers and management at Apple than he was with Adobe and their Flash. If the goal is perfection, then perfection must be reached. I think he had a ruthlessness about him in this regard, and Apple...
Too bad. 5 years ago, RIM stock was sitting at about $140. Today, $7.80+. What were they thinking? I remember in 2007 Steve Jobs low-balling how many iPhones they would sell -- he was "hoping" for 10M, he said. I'm sure he didn't really know how revolutionary the iPhone would be, though I'm sure he was lying. But my guess is RIM believed his 10M figure and simply ignored the evidence as it developed. Apple may have started out as a low-grade infection of RIM's corporate...
Never have had the problems with Mac or OSX that you claim to be having. I switched to Mac from Windows 12 years ago, and have been happy every since. What did you do to the software or hardware? Are you running virus protection software, which I often suspect is causing more problems than it solves? 
The key to whether the iPad or PC laptops will win out for most is convenience and functionality. Chipsets and all are critical -- for the hardware and software designers. For user it is functionality and convenience. My bets are on the iPad (and other tablets like perhaps the MS Surface). They will become more capable and more functional. More apps and more functional apps will be written and purchased. Laptops will be squeezed; they will need to do things that the iPad...
Nokia's Elop was a Trojan Horse, sent by MS to destroy Nokia as an independent company and allow MS to buy Nokia's smartphone and patents in a fire sale. I don't know if the Nokia board was in on this, but they are either incompetent or criminal negligent for failing to protect Nokia.