or Connect

Posts by GrangerFX

This is one area where I really wish Apple was more like Google by taking more R&D risks and allowing themselves to fail more while looking for the next big success.
Still waiting on a touch screen. Why? Because I develop iOS apps and there is no easy way to test them properly without hooking up an iOS device. That is a bit of a pain when I am on the road.
Again it is not so much the price that concerns me. It is the lack of selection. The best Thunderbolt enclosures on the market are made by LaCie but they don't offer their really sweet Little Big Disk enclosure without drives nor will they according to their representative I spoke to two weeks ago at a trade show. I pointed out that there are people on eBay that buy their least expensive model with hard drives and then outfit it with two 1 TB flash drives which is a...
No. The cables are fine. I can buy them at any Apple Store. I am bitching that I have nothing to plug them into because the cost of both the cables and the interfaces make Thunderbolt a niche market. Try buying an empty Thunderbolt drive enclosure for example. How about one of those devices that let you drop in 3.5 or 2.5 inch drives? What is available is vastly over priced due to the niche size of the market. The Chinese can't be bothered to make anything in volume for...
Yes of course I understand why the cables are so expensive. That is why Thunderbolt is an impractical design. I was at the IDF show when Intel first showed off Thunderbolt. Back then the plug looked like a standard USB but it carried an optical cable. There was no expensive processor on each end of the cable. Unfortunately the design was broken so they had to hack together the processors in both connectors of a copper cable. Ask yourself why those processors could not have...
Right now Thunderbolt is like a drug that cures cancer but no one can afford and is generally unavailable. Part of good engineering of a spec is to make sure that it is practical. Intel has totally failed on that front.
Imagine if instead of this, Intel announced a new $5 Thunderbolt cables and dirt cheap licensing. How excited would you be then?
The lack of a laminated screen and touch ID are the only two features I feel are missing on the current iPad Air. I noticed the "glassy" appearance of the display immediately. Compared to the iPhone's screen which looks like the pixels are floating on the surface of the glass, the iPad Air's pixels appear to be recessed behind the glass. It is a small thing but then all of Apple's products are just a lot of small things done right.
Is anyone else interested in a smaller iPhone? Something really easy to put in your pocket, hardened against keys, water resistant and not as slippery so no cover is needed? I find that even the iPhone 4 is too big to be comfortable in my pocket.
Imagine what they could do if WiFi hotspots contained hardware to determine precise range and direction of users in the mesh. The current invention is a bit of a hack that uses current WiFi hardware. Future hardware could contain time of flight technology for much more precise measurements leading to centimeter or even millimeter location precision. There are many cool uses for this type of precision including directed audio, beamed data, lights that show you the way in...