or Connect

Posts by GrangerFX

I like the idea of a low cost iPad Mini to go along with the low cost iPhone. An iPad Mini with the current screen and an A6 processor would do very well at about $249. That would leave room for the new premium models with retina and the A7 processor starting at the current $329. It also matches the iPod Touch which starts with a lower ended model at $229 and 16 GB and then goes to the premium model starting at $299.
At the Siggraph conference two weeks ago I had a number of conversations with companies on the show floor about the lack of significant performance increases at the top end of desktop PCs. The consensus is that all of the R&D efforts at Intel and other companies is now going into lower power and higher performance mobile products and that the desktop computer platform is going to disappear as a mass market product. Those of us that must use computers instead of mobile...
The prices shown for Android Tablets near the top of the article are real as of today. The screen shot is from Walmart's web page: http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=android tablet&Find=Find&search_constraint=0 Two of the three shown are 4.3 inch "tablets". The amazing thing is how little desire I have to own one of these no-name Android tablets even at less than $50. They will likely never get an OS upgrade. They don't even have the...
We still don't know what the new iBooks agreements will look like? Are publishers still free to set their own prices or will Amazon dictate the prices for all book publishers under the guise of "fairness"? I still think that publishers should set their own book prices. I hate the idea of one size fits all book pricing. Most older books should cost just a buck or less while newer trade editions should cost $20 or $30 or even more. That way we can build our libraries of...
I was hoping for a flash LED like on the excellent 5th gen iPod Touch but I don't see a hole for it. That thing is vastly more useful as a flashlight. It is really bright and makes getting around in the dark a breeze.
The most important difference between Apple and Google maps is in the SDK used by third party app developers. Google places loads of restrictions on the developer and can even turn off maps entirely if an app gets too popular. Apple has very few restrictions via their SDK and are mostly aimed at preventing out of control bugs from overloading their servers. With Apple's SDK, you can create a route between two points and access each point on the line. It even gives you...
The Surface is a tablet designed for people that love Windows. But does anyone really love Windows? I mean LOVE it not merely put up with it or use it to run programs they do love. There may be people in the world who truly love Windows but I have never met one.
I am really curious as to what happens if the code is hacked to permanently set the clock at the higher frequency? Does the Galaxy S4 overheat and damage the chips? That would be cool (well hot really).
I spoke at length with a NVidia engineer at Siggraph about their automobile integration effort. They had a demo of a center dash display which could show the normal speed dials and other status information. You could also scroll through other displays much like flipping between Cover Flow songs on an iPhone. NVidia wants the automobile software to be fully upgradable but said that they don't expect third party apps for the main console display due to safety reasons and...
I like the name. It reminds me of the Apple IIc.