or Connect

Posts by strobe

Yea, I mean why doesn't Apple put all their videos on Vimeo? Also, why have a server for encoding videos when I could tie up an iMac which may or may not be working when I need it to? Your comment exemplifies why Apple should strip the 'pro' out of their products.
Apple seems to have a habit of buying or inheriting pro apps, then dumbing them down for pro-sumers (i.e. amateurs). They bought FCP from Macromedia and now we have FCPX. They bought Shake and now we have Motion X. The void left by FCP is being filled by Avid and the void left by Shake is being filled by Nuke. Not to mention killing Xserve then rebadging minis as servers. What a joke. How are people supposed to stream their fantastic FCPX MotionX videos without...
This all started when political correctness ran amok and Mark Hurd was ousted for a non-scandal. All I can say is HP owners got what they richly deserved.
Um, what? NRA are responsible law-abiding gun owners who run gun safety courses and try to keep the government from having a monopoly on firearms. Not that I support them, GOA FTW. If you want to talk about who buys real guns to shoot people, look at our government. Obama is currently killing people in Pakistan, Yemen, Libya, and lord knows where else. 168 children have already been confirmed killed by drone attacks. THOUSANDS of non-combatants, too. All in illegal,...
Looks like that would have been a cool technology four years ago.
Village Instruments has said on a Facebook post today that it plans to design and sell a Thunderbolt-based external graphics card enclosure for use with Thunderbolt-equipped Macs.
Maybe you should read it. It doesn't use the thunderbolt port and probably doesn't support the full spec which requires the display signal. Sony is using it as a fast proprietary dock port. Which is fine by me, but my original point stands.
The ViDock is interesting. That's a much cheaper unit than the Magma ExpressBox (although not making me leap for my credit card). Halve the cost and I'd get one for my MBP 17. What makes you think Village Instruments could make a cheaper dock than Sonnet, and still make any money given the limited market? It might be an easier sell if ultrabooks with thunderbolt hit the market mid-2012. One thing I noticed is the Sonnet unit will only support 4x, which makes sense because...
1) I'm saying this figure is bandied about without any citation. I'm calling BS. Just because someone saw an expensive cable at sharper image doesn't mean USB cables used to cost $50. It's like saying parallel printer cables currently cost $30 because that's what BestBuy is charging. It's irrelevant. Thunderbolt cables are expensive because they have logic built-in. The whole USB comparison is ludicrous. It's not a cheap peripheral port. 2) It's so successful that most...
Is this a serious post? Instead of being condescending you could provide a real example of such a practical use. I'm well aware of what HTML5 does and how it is currently deployed, do you? Originally SVG graphics was just a way to render paths because html/sgml was used instead of something more like postscript. The web has evolved into a fucking esoteric tag-infested jargon circus that needs gigahertz machines with gigs of RAM just to 'run' (remember when we used to...