or Connect

Posts by strobe

Looks like that would have been a cool technology four years ago.
Village Instruments has said on a Facebook post today that it plans to design and sell a Thunderbolt-based external graphics card enclosure for use with Thunderbolt-equipped Macs.
Maybe you should read it. It doesn't use the thunderbolt port and probably doesn't support the full spec which requires the display signal. Sony is using it as a fast proprietary dock port. Which is fine by me, but my original point stands.
The ViDock is interesting. That's a much cheaper unit than the Magma ExpressBox (although not making me leap for my credit card). Halve the cost and I'd get one for my MBP 17. What makes you think Village Instruments could make a cheaper dock than Sonnet, and still make any money given the limited market? It might be an easier sell if ultrabooks with thunderbolt hit the market mid-2012. One thing I noticed is the Sonnet unit will only support 4x, which makes sense because...
1) I'm saying this figure is bandied about without any citation. I'm calling BS. Just because someone saw an expensive cable at sharper image doesn't mean USB cables used to cost $50. It's like saying parallel printer cables currently cost $30 because that's what BestBuy is charging. It's irrelevant. Thunderbolt cables are expensive because they have logic built-in. The whole USB comparison is ludicrous. It's not a cheap peripheral port. 2) It's so successful that most...
Is this a serious post? Instead of being condescending you could provide a real example of such a practical use. I'm well aware of what HTML5 does and how it is currently deployed, do you? Originally SVG graphics was just a way to render paths because html/sgml was used instead of something more like postscript. The web has evolved into a fucking esoteric tag-infested jargon circus that needs gigahertz machines with gigs of RAM just to 'run' (remember when we used to...
So you're full of shit. Got it. Just because Best Buy sells a $30 printer cable doesn't mean there are $1 thunderbolt cables just over the horizon.So you'll be able to use thunderbolt devices with Sony's product? OOPS! I GUESS NOT!That anyone drawing a comparison to USB's first rollout is full of shit. Thunderbolt, outside of Apple, isn't employed anywhere. You can't even add thunderbolt ports to existing equipment like you can, say, expresscard, unless you got a video...
Uh, why would you have to use Flash or HTML5? Click on an object for a video? We've had the embed tag since 1995. BTW HTML5 isn't necessary for click2flash ability. QuickTime would also have worked, using embed tags instead of movie tags. The reason YouTube used flash to begin with was because everybody had it, so nobody had to install another plug-in. They could have used QuickTime, but then how do you embed ads if it's just a video stream? Yea, didn't pass the laugh...
So, how do I block this shit? Let's be frank here, folks. I kinda like the status quo. I can access nearly all the content I want and avoid what I don't by using Click2Flash and AdBlock. The ONLY 'practical' use I've seen for HTML5 has been ads and ultra-annoying ways of presenting video. We've also seen a bunch of battery-draining demos like pointless embedded 3D graphics. The kool factor is so high here I'm choking. Someone convince me this html5 stuff is going to...
Funny how that 'fact' gets bandied about without a SOURCE. Source? Citation? Bueller? I call bullshit. As for Thunderbolt being adopted....my whom prey tell? Hrmmm? Oh, by the way, USB 3 cables? Cheap and widely available before Thunderbolt existed.