or Connect

Posts by strobe

Apple's PB superdrive is a DOG. I ordered a powerbook with the Combo drive. It has faster DVD read (also faster CDRW, not that I care about that though). I mean what the hell are you going to do with 1x DVD write? It would be better to get a normal DVD writer and stick it in a firewire drive box.
[quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel: Yes. Apple would not go x86. That architecture is 30 years old, and the PC world may soon change to IA64.
*scoff* IA64 doesn't run legacy x86 stuff well. Why on earth would consumers adopt it? Is it because of the Intel name? Pth.. Or to run the 64bit version of MS Office. Yea, that's the ticket!
You're not being rational. If you hold out for x86 boxes, you'll have to hold out for months for 3rd parties to catch up! If Apple was serious about this they would HAVE to tell 3rd party hardware and software developers months in advance. This thread is ridiculous!
I'd hate to point out the blindingly obvious, but if Apple were to support a new architecture they would have to tell 3rd party SW&HW developers months in advance just like they did when they decided to support PowerPC. What's the point of an OS with no apps or drivers?
Why not just have a PowerBook with a hinge which allows the display to be folded back like a chequebook, then you have the best of all worlds.
msor, I dub thee: CLICK WHORE!
What would really be cool is if you could fold the screen back like a chequebook and use a stylus.
Powerbook: Two firewire ports (I mean WTF man) handle which doubles as lift better trackpad (some trackpads have features like scroll)
[quote]Originally posted by Nevyn: Just nitpicking. I don't think it is _all_ POWER chips. The original ppc601 was both a PPC and a POWER chip. Then they diverged for awhile. The POWER3-series & POWER4 series are back to running as either a POWER or a PPC I think.
The 601 implemented some extra instructions so a compiler could be made available, but I doubt it implemented the entire POWER instruction set (which would be Amazon+PPC)
[quote]Originally posted by SurfRat: I'm still wondering when the 9000s are gonna be available for Mac. I guess we'll be lucky if they start shipping 'em by MWSF 2003... [No]
Considering the 9000 is inferior to the 8500, who the hell cares?