or Connect

Posts by strobe

[quote]Originally posted by Programmer: The Radeon9700 and nv30 are the first GPUs (at the consumer level, at least) which support floating point frame buffer formats.
What about rendering bezier paths? Also, what happened to OpenGL 2.0?
[quote]Originally posted by Barto: MOSR is 99.5% bull. UMA isn't really revelent. Basically, there are a limited number of chips used across Apple computers. They include; UniNorth U2 Keylargo Snapper Pangea Barto
I didn't know they started the infamous Barto rumor
[quote]Originally posted by Croaton: There are solid gold toilets. It was in my Guinness WB of records http://www.tokenasians.com/archives/news/goldtoilet.jpg
Gold is a cold metal. I don't like the idea of that. One cold morning and I could get a certain appendage stuck to it much like a tounge against a lamp post!
worst...thread...ever... I want my two minutes back
Hrm, you know one advantage of using x86 is you could easily port WINE, using XDarwin for display. Well, then again that may be a disadvantage... (as a side note I used to run some windows apps on WINE on Debian Linux/x86 VirtualPC using XDarwin to display. Yes, it was slow, although some of that seems to be due to the remote X11 session which seemed to be capped at 10Mb/sec (full duplex) for some reason)
Apparently this person had excellent results with VAST: http://gravity.psu.edu/~khanna/autovp.html I wonder if the AIM alliance has ever considered buying this company. I mean if all Mac OS X apps were optimized it might buy them a decent speed boost for the interim. I doubt trying to get gcc up to speed has been cheap.
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider: erm.. it's old news?
That's ancient news, and that's just the toolchain. It has nothing with Linux for PPC is getting more and more optimized for Altivec.
Maybe Apple should embed a projector so you can have a 10' screen. Hrm, actually that would be pretty damned cool...useful for presentations...and flight simulations...mmm In the end what we all want is the PowerHelmet or PowerGoggles, one monitor per eyeball with as high a resolution as the retina can discern.
All this talk about VMX units avoids the pivotal question: How many cycles does the PPC 970 need to execute X number of Y VMX operators. For example if I had four permute functions in a row, how many cycles would it take to execute? One of the advantages of VMX (and PowerPC in general) is the ability to predict in advance how long it will take to execute instructions in a particular order (excluding branch operators). One of the more interesting aspects I would be...
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider: It also helps that Linux for PPC is getting more and more optimized for Altivec.
erm... Where did you get that idea? Perhaps some video/audio codecs are using VMX for FFT, but I don't see this as anything to do with Linux/PPC.