or Connect

Posts by strobe

Prepare to be disappointed
Having used Macs constantly since '86 in hundreds of environments, the only virus I ever came across was nVIR. It didn't do anything malicious except copy itself. MacTech then released a simple program in C to "vaccinate" it. Windows on the other hand...
Except it won't be spec. I'd love to be disproven otherwise, but Intel made it CLEAR that it requires both protocols and that is the only reason why you won't see expresscard to TB adapters like you can now buy for USB or SATA. Intel explicitly said TB ports would need to be built-in. Without this requirement, you could make an expresscard pr PCI-E to TB adapter because it's the same protocol. Welcome to Steve's garden of stupidity.
Unfortunately, due to the requirement that TB ports carry BOTH protocols, this isn't possible. You need a GPU per TB port.
Except that TB only supports up to 6 devices. It's like SCSI all over again. It's a pity Firewire 3200 which was announced in 2007 didn't get the push that TB did. Oh well :-\\ and oh yes, USB sucks. It's slower than SATA 3
The display limit depends on the number of pixels you're pushing, not the GPU. You can have one large display which saturates the connection. A GPU removed from the CPU would be utterly pointless unless you wanted to add more OpenGL processors to a laptop or something (which sounds VERY impractical for various obvious reasons). There is a reason the GPU is connected to the CPU and not the monitor.
To drive the point home, the ultimate irony hit me as I have a displayport on my MacBook Pro which can't audio out. Yea, that's OK but don't you dare have a TB port which can't video out!
The more you think about it the more stupid it gets... The other repercussion of requiring display-out for every TB port is it killed potential use for servers. Since every port requires the ability to drive a display, that means you need a display driver for each port. So you can forget about massive SAN arrays using TB. Sure, most servers don't need more than six drives (or I suppose 5 if you want a display?), but some do! How many SATA connectors is on the average...
Sigh, yes, but still better than eSATA, right? Kinda makes me wish FW 3200 had been given the same "holy shit this is great! How soon can we deliver? NOT SOON ENOUGH!" treatment. Hell, that standard was announced in 2007 and was fully backward compatible with FW 800 (unlike USB3). I mean, did they really not see the potential for networking? FW networks are still around despite gigabit ethernet. They're cheaper and easier to setup. Sure, it would have required longer...
It's the Gamer Soda