or Connect

Posts by noexpectations

According to my math, each iPhone has a $400 subsidy from AT&T to Apple. If it is weighted over a 24 month contract, it comes out to about $16 per month (400/24=16). That leaves AT&T with $14 per month on the data plan to enhance the network and make a profit.
Apple has a choice....they are choosing higher subsidies versus customer satisfaction.
......very slow...says another 60 minutes left.
That is true with any wireless carrier....most cell towers are located on leased property (monthly rent).....the fewer the towers, the lower the cost for us.
No wireless carrier can control the physical locations of their customers. The planners for your weekend festival should have called up every wireless carrier and asked for temporary, portable cell towers (on trucks) to service the crowds.Also, cell phones are portable. If you stop selling in some markets due to network saturation, what is going to stop someone from driving a few miles to buy it elsewhere?
...were Apple's sales forecasts and estimated bandwidth usage per iPhone accurate....and how long did Apple give AT&T to upgrade the network? How could they be accurate when the APP Store wasn't even discussed during the contract negotiations? It takes years to upgrade networks.By the way, it was Apple who demanded an unlimited data plan for iPhone users. This is one of the root causes of all our problems.
This is going to be a very boring event if all there is are new iPods w/cameras.
Not true...if you have to replace your iPhone for any reason (other than a defect) before your contract expires, you will pay the unsubsidized list price for that iPhone.
Don't get me wrong, I am not an apologist for AT&T....I too agree with many of the complaints. However, an 18 billion upgrade is not a half-hearted attempt. Would a company like Sprint even have the capital to take on such an upgrade? They are losing money and customers every quarter. Verizon is stuck in CDMA-land.....and will be there a few more years before they can offer a truly national 4G network....and by then, all other carriers will have it as well.
Well, yes you are paying Apple the next two years.....it's just that Apple got all their money upfront. Each iPhone has a $400 subsidy. AT&T collects it from you over 24 months ($400 / 24 = $16). So, in reality, your $30 Data plan is divided between AT&T and Apple. I almost wish AT&T had it all so that they could spend more on the network upgrades....instead of this money sitting in Apple's bank account. Also, I wonder what Apple told AT&T regarding iPhone Sales...