or Connect

Posts by The Friendly Grizzly

Thank you, thank you!  More in a moment, folks. Oh, and be sure to tip your waitress.
"The article has been updated since I posted so my comment is moo."   I'm glad you're not easily cowed.   /someone had to...
Given they have gone from .Mac to MobileMe to the iCloud farce in less than, what? Six or so years?  I'd be pessimistic, too.  I liked MobileMe.  It did just fine for me, and provided the functionality I needed. iDisk allowed me to store any and all files.  iCloud will only store "i"-files. iTunes Match is, in my experience, a farce.   I also predict that iCloud will be abandoned for The Next Big Thing Apple comes up with.  Three years tops.  As soon as I figure out a...
"...so allowing users to log in through Facebook increases participation."   Not "allow".  REQUIRE. 
Yeah, sonny. IU'm old (but not a fart thank you very much).  It is not fear of social networking itself.  I don't fear it because I don't use it.  What I DO "fear" is having data-mining built into the operating system of the devices I use. I don't have a Facebook account, and I don't want their damned software on my computer. Nor do I tweet, nor am I on MySpace, or any other of these services.  I no longer use AOL or Yahoo instant messaging either; it lost its usefulness...
It hasn't been their bag in the past. But, as someone pointed out in another thread, this is not 20 years ago.  Apple is, in general, a decent company. That can change.
I've not seen apps that require it, but there are many on-line news sites that require a Facebook account in order to make a comment on an article.  This is a trend that is growing.  Granted, not being able to comment on an article does not exactly rank with being deprived of water in Death Valley.  But unless the site has some deal worked with Facebook for data mining, why do they do this?
My view is: How much security is being sacrificed if Apple loads down IOS, and probably the computer OS with integral Facebook capabilities?  Does Apple have some sort of gentleman's agreement with Facebook to allow data harvesting even when one is not a Facebook subscriber?   I look upon Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Flickr, and other such data-mines as being an application.  If I want it, I will buy it and install it, or in the case of a freebie, pull it down and...
^ Booboo...
How about SkoobieHueyDeweyMickyDaisyGoofyYogeyBoboSacramento? ? Eight characters and a capital! /blonde