or Connect

Posts by The Friendly Grizzly

I was waiting at a coffee shop to meet up with a friend one afternoon about 3 years ago. I was the ONLY one in the place with a not-Mac. No, there was no gesturing and pointing, but still...! I was also the oldest guy in the place by far. Now, I run an all-Mac fleet except for the Dell desktop I have for doing work in Office 2003. And before anyone says anything, Office for the Mac is not, repeat NOT, compatible with Office for the PC if you have any macros at all. ...
They are also a godsend to selfish louts who turn them up full-blast in restaurants and hotel lobbies so we all get to hear "beedleyBEEP" and then a loud metallic voice. Then the lout presses the PTT button and, holding the instrument 5 feet from his head, replies in a shout-voice. BeedleyBEEP!Half the Nextel owners should stick their phones in an uncomfortable place.
Will it have a 5.25" floppy drive, cassette interface, and a ROM-BASIC?!?!!?
Thank you! Mom is fine! She hits the big 89 in a few days, and shows virtually no sign of slowing down. She's amazing!
My mother has Verizon landline service. No bill is ever the same, and lately they started with two lines of billing with odd letter/number codes. One item was about $4.50 the other about 5-something. Turns out this is some sort of third-party billing "arrangement" they entered into, and it does not provide any further service for the customer beyond the "servicing" they get by being charged for it. Mom lives in one of these retirement communities with independent...
And who said anything about buying another pay as you go? I was subscribing to a full-fledged two-year-contract service. The pay-as-you-go I had was a phone I bought when I needed a personal cell for occasional use, and did not want to use my employer-provided one. Besides, had I been pursuing a PAYG phone and the salesman didn't want to spend the time, all he had to say was that they could not do an order like I wanted for a PAYG. But no, they were doing their best to...
In another entry I refer to "going back to" t-Mobile. I TRIED to get a Verizon phone. When AT&T became Cingular, Cingular saw fit to make my pay-as-you-go AT&T phone virtually unusable. I was driving a pickup and trailer full of my belongings across AZ, NM, and TX in high summer, and did not want to be without a phone just in case. I pulled in to the Verizon store in Las Cruces NM, and asked for a phone, with a Nashville number, as this is where I was headed. "We...
AT&T service here in Nashville is at best dodgy. It's very good at my house, but is substandard in many other local places, with dropped calls, almost no 3G, or it goes from 3G to Edge and back every minute or two. I will wait and see how AT&T performs in Birmingham AL; I am relocating for a new job at the start of the year. If it is better there, I may stay with them. If not, I will return to t-Mobile. Despite their small size I always had good coverage. It seems...
I'd just rather AT&T spend money on towers and equipment that more lawyers.
One more point: I am sure I am in the minority here, but when I go to shop, I want to look at product, not a bunch of giant moving images, or images that rapidly flash light-to-dark, chop-frame motion, and other visual tricks that cause me discomfort. It is mandatory for me to attend a trade show in Las Vegas every two years. I am surrounded by all that glitter-flash and within hours I am so annoyed and tired I just want to get back to my room and turn the lights off. If...