or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

I totally agree. I wonder if this whole thing was a scam by those c-level guys. The c-level people in a lot of companies are just high class con-men. 
I'm really curious to see how Denver compares. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that will be the only other custom 64-bit ARM chip out there. It seems everything else is based on ARM reference designs. 
Interesting that Apple was so conservative with their 40% CPU improvement statement, and didn't even mention that they added a core.  In some ways, it almost seems like a big FU from Apple marketing to the whole speeds-and-feeds crowd. Basically, we care so little about your spec-bullsh!t that we aren't even going to tout our own superiority using your own metrics. 
In addition to that, it doesn't use "standard" USB cables, a parallel port, or a 5.25" floppy. Damn those hippies in Cupertino! 
I think you might be too charitable. The timing of stock sales from senior execs at GTA are very suspicious. This could be a situation where Apple got scammed. If so, that's pretty embarrassing for Apple. As a stockholder, I'd almost prefer that the story was Apple being a big meanie, rather than Apple being scammed... 
I'm very hesitant to buy anything like this from a company that is small enough to be bought by Google (a la Nest).    There is no way I'm handing the keys to my house over to Google (and whoever the highest bidder is for Google to turn over my information). 
In some sense the problem is that it's actually not that pesky. People no longer feel that the constitution is sufficient to protect them from an overreaching police state.  Of course, it's probably fair to say that people have the government they deserve. Since Nixon (at least), politicians have been using the threat of crime, commies, and terrorists as reasons to weaken people's civil rights and increase police powers. The courts have become stacked with...
 The problem as I see it is that a large fraction of the public, regardless of political affiliation, no longer agrees with the government regarding what is "unreasonable" and what ought to be "lawful." The post 9-11 overreach by the government (all levels and branches, both major political parties) means that the government has lost the consent of a large fraction of the governed.  It will take a very long time to regain that public trust. The first step would be to...
I would like it if Cook's Apple would make a sustained, long-term effort to get Macs into business environments. I think I perceive a greater willingness among corporate IT types to consider supporting Macs than there was 10 years ago. But it's not going to happen without a sustained push from Apple.    I hope this is a step in that direction. 
The iPhone is not the only device that will have an A8. Samsung could be producing A8s for the iPad. In fact, it would make a lot more sense to split the work in that way, since TSMC and Samsung are unlikely to produce chips with exactly the same power and thermal characteristics -- Apple wouldn't want that kind of heterogeneity across units of the same type.  I actually think this story has a lot of credibility. Apple is operating at a scale where it can afford to have...