or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

I think the sales of existing smart watches have as much predictive power for the apple watch as the use of google wallet had for apple pay -- which is to say, zero predictive power. The issue is that those other companies have very little brand credibility with consumers to introduce a new product category. People just don't pay attention to what Samsung, Asus, etc do in the way they pay attention to Apple. To the extent normal people are even aware of smart watches from...
It's so hard to predict the success of a new product category like this. But I think this prediction makes a lot of sense, with one caveat.    When the iPhone came out I didn't buy one until the 3G became available. I just didn't think the initial iPhone was fully baked.   When the iPad first came out I pre-ordered it. It was the first time I bought a new product category without being able to see it first hand. But to me that was easy to do -- I saw it as just a big...
Given that it sounds like a big part of GTAT's problem was an inability to manage large scale production, maybe the solution is to bring Corning into the mix to help with the actual implementation of GTAT's ideas (to the extent that those ideas have merit... maybe they just don't). 
After 9-11, we Americans were all so hysterical with fear that we started trading our freedoms for the promise of more security. Has there ever been a more euphemistically named piece of legislation than "USA Patriot Act?" It's positively Orwellian (or maybe just douchebagian... not sure GWB read Orwell)    So I'm glad to see that nobody has so far posted a comment siding with the DOJ over this. That's kind of encouraging... 
Let's assume that Apple was a big meanie in this and demanded terms that were unfair etc from GTAT. Then why did GTAT accept those terms? There is no rule that you have to accept whatever terms Apple offers. Apple tried to buy Dropbox and the Dropbox guys said "no thanks", even though they apparently are big fans of SJ and Apple.    I get the general sense that there's no place at Apple, or in Apple's supply chain, for wussies. If you aren't the type of person who knows...
Good observation.As an AAPL shareholder, I would be thrilled if they sell 30-40 million in the first year.
 I think it's incorrect to say that desktop PCs are dying. Instead, I think the desktop PC is a very mature product that has achieved market saturation. New sales are mostly to replace obsolete or broken units, and obsolescence takes longer than it used to. Consequently, we see virtually no growth in PC sales. But a lack of growth should not be confused with the PC market dying, or PCs being irrelevant. For reasons of UI if nothing else, the PC can do things that a...
 How do you define small? I'm thinking the Mac could eventually reach between 10% and 20% of the enterprise market in the US. Some might call that small, but it would be huge to both Apple and Microsoft, because Apple would be taking that share off the top.  I really don't think bean counting is that big of an obstacle to the Mac achieving a 10 to 20% share in the enterprise. The top 10 to 20% of employees in a firm ("top" in terms of rank in the hierarchy, salary,...
I think Tim Cook is right to pursue enterprise opportunities and seems to have a much better temperament for it than Steve Jobs did. So long as Cook doesn't compromise on the user experience in order to placate corporate IT-orifices (and I really don't think he will), this is great news for Apple and great news for enterprise employees who would like to be able to use Apple devices at work.    It makes sense to start with iPhone and iPad, but I'm looking forward to the...
Exactly -- collusion is the issue. If the DOJ could go after Apple for iBooks, surely this is worth a look...