or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

You mean like this?   http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_shuffle
", an increase credited mostly to the launch of the iPhone 4S."   Hmm.... I read the bberg article, and I don't quite see support for that statement.    Yes, they increased their users, and yes they're happy about the iPhone. But I see nothing to really indicate what fraction of those new users are iPhone users. 
  Problem with that theory is that most of the products into which Samsung chips are inserted are assembled in China or elsewhere in Asia. So putting a fab in TX means shipping the chips to China, putting them in a product, and then shipping the product back to the US. It would be likely easier to just build the chips in Korea.    It seems to me that the main advantage of being in Austin is that's where Apple's CPU people are. I guess a secondary advantage might be the...
  Yup and yup.    Lesser of two disasters. 
If I were running HP, my first step would be to look for another job.    Failing that, I think I'd kill most consumer-oriented products and refocus on enterprise/government/academia.    Using SJ's truck/car analogy, I'd turn HP into the best darned truck producer it can be. HP can no more compete with iPads than 1990-era GM could compete with Honda Civics. 
To those who are confused -- there is a thing called the iPad2, you know.   In other news.... the global domination of the iPad seems consistent with the view that Android's lead in "smartphones" might be due to an overly broad definition of the term "smartphone". If we were to break smartphones into "mobile computers with a phone app" vs "enriched feature phones", we might find that Android's marketshare advantage is driven by the second category. 
Bad news for Google.    If Samsung is the only company left standing selling Android, Google's position will be greatly weakened. All we need now is for Samsung to fork Android and Google's failure will be complete. 
The rest of the world. 
Wow, the difference between the US and the rest of the world is very stark.    I suspect it largely comes down to a combination of (1) price related issues and (2) completeness of Apple's ecosystem in the US.    Regarding the first, the issue is that in the US, the perceived difference in price between Android phones and iPhones isn't as large, since the carriers absorb a big chunk of the difference. Internationally, end-users feel the full difference in phone...
Interesting.    Apple's pattern with iDevices has been to cut the price on older devices only after new devices come out. But they could change that policy, and drop the price on older devices BEFORE the new device comes out.    Obviously that would send a pretty clear signal that a new device is about to come out, but it looks like that signal is clearly being sent and received by customers anyway.    If apple were to cut prices a little earlier on aging...