or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

Win 8 may very well be doomed, but this guy has an agenda.    He's mostly ticked because app stores that come with the OS compete with Steam.    The notion that Steam is "open" is laughable. It's a DRM'd app store, just like Apple's or Microsoft's. 
iPhone share in europe is also lower than in the US. Apple really benefits from the way carriers price things in the US.http://www.ben-evans.com/post/25177869096/iphone-pricing-and-us-market-share
I suspect that if the DOJ forces Apple and the publishers to switch back to a wholesale model, Apple will still charge the same markup over the wholesale price as they are now (i.e., 30% of the sticker price goes to apple). The only difference is that Amazon will be liberated to sell books at a lower profit margin, or even at a loss.    If this had happened back in 2010 it might have seriously hurt iBooks. But now I'm not so sure. There's no "most favored nation"...
Distasteful though it may be, Apple should probably spend more on this. Like patent lawsuits, it's a necessary evil.    Also, with unlimited corporate donations to SuperPACs now legal, Apple might want to consider spending big on those, too. Apple could find some house and senate members who are in tight re-election races and offer to donate big $$ to SuperPACs supporting those candidates, provided that those candidates take Apple's positions on various...
Yeah, I thought his estimate was pretty high, too. 
I noticed a while back that Horace Dedieu is forecasting 24 million iPads in the June quarter. I'm very curious to see what Apple's June quarter iPad sales actually were, seeing as how the new iPad was not available in China for the entire quarter. My hunch is that his forecast might not have taken into account the delay in iPad sales in China (his forecast seems suspiciously close to a simple doubling of last year's quarter sales). But man -- if he turns out to be...
It would probably make sense for apple to lay off HTC for a while and focus more on Samsung. Seems like it's in Apple's best interest for the Android platform to be as fragmented as possible, without any one leader emerging. Taking down Samsung clearly needs to be job 1 for Apple. So far, the ace in the hole for Apple is the iPad. But it would be nice to see Apple get out in front of Samsung on smartphone sales and stay there. 
I'm very curious to see what chip Apple ends up using. I'm sure it will be 32 nm (they are already using some 32nm A5s now).    The big question for me is whether it will just be a die-shrunk, and higher clocked A5 or if it will be an A6. And if A6, does that necessarily mean quad cores? Or could it mean two beefier cores? Or could it be something radically new?    My guess is that it will be a 32nm quad core chip that they call the A6, and that the next iPad...
  Great point. This web share metric alone seems so strange as to be almost unbelievable, but when you put those two numbers together, they're harder to ignore.    i wonder if one possible explanation might be that Android devices don't stay in use as long as iOS devices. Perhaps there are more hand-me-down iOS devices out there. In the short term, that might have the effect of reducing Apple's sales, but in the longer term, it could yield Apple quite a few more...
Talk about massive consumer confusion. What's the "real" Windows tablet? Is it the Atom tablets, because they can run old software? Or is it the tablets that come from MS, but run on ARM? Or something else?    It sounds like MS is going to just launch every possible permutation of tablet and hope that one of them sells. It's the old "see what sticks" strategy.