or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

Ugh. Shouldn't have gone out with this bug. Doesn't speak well to Apple's QA process. This usage case is too common not to undergo testing. Somebody should get smacked for this.   
Here's a question: Could Apple use cash held internationally to buy back AAPL stock on foreign stock exchanges without having to pay US tax? I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like if foreign cash is being used to buy AAPL on a foreign exchange, then that cash would never come under the purview of US taxes. Yet, the benefit to stockholders would be the same as if Apple conducted a stock buy-back on an American exchange using domestic cash (because stock is fungible across...
Apple's increased transparency regarding their plans for the Mac Pro is really encouraging. Granted, they're still clear as mud compared to other companies that sell workstation-class computers, but for Apple it's a big improvement to have Tim Cook announcing a new product way in advance and then this communication to the reseller (if it's legit, which given Cook's earlier announcement, I suspect is legit).    I take this to mean that Apple is planning to take the...
Yeah, I wonder if this is a hoax from somebody with a sense of humor. That is, if you do the math you'll realize this iPhone rumor is a hoax. 
  Yeah -- the same credibility level as a Rupert Murdoch tabloid.
I agree this is quite possibly manipulation, and that even if this story isn't, that many others are.    Yet I wonder -- what exactly should the SEC do, if anything, about this kind of stuff? It's one thing for a company, or employees of a company, to say knowingly false things in order to manipulate the stock price for their own advantage -- I think permitting that kind of behavior would undermine the entire market system of allocating capital. But I think there's a case...
Not necessarily. I'd guess Apple has multiple contingency plans for new iPhone models. It could be that Plan A is to introduce a new model on an accelerated schedule, but Plan A depends on a bunch of things working out. Plan B could have been to continue with the iPhone 5 on the "old" schedule, and Apple might have placed orders under the conservative assumption that Plan B would be necessary. Could be that Apple has now determined that Plan A is feasible, so they are...
A few thoughts: 1. A bigger iPhone screen isn't as crazy as some people think. The iPad line already has two different UI point densities -- the iPad mini is the same as the iPhone while the iPad has a lower density. A bigger iPhone could follow that model -- the same number of UI points, but a bigger screen, so lower density. This is not as unthinkable as retina-purists might imagine. 2. "complicating the supply chain" is also not as big a deal as people think. The...
Just to be clear, folks -- it's totally fine to defraud people less powerful than you (for example, EULAs, DMCA, private health insurance). But it is definitely NOT ok to defraud people more powerful than you (for example, HP).
A good thing to keep in mind about financial advisors and analysts is that their primary incentive is to attract and retain paying clients, which does not necessarily align with saying what they really think is correct.    For example, a good advisor might very well think that there is a bubble in a particular market, and that staying out of that market is the best advice to their clients. But if unsophisticated clients follow that advice, and see themselves missing...