or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

I think that in another 6-12 months Microsoft is going to be forced to come to terms with the very painful reality that their phone and tablet strategy has been a complete failure. At that point, MS will have to swallow its pride and accept Apple's app store terms in order to sell Office on iDevices. Otherwise, MS will be totally cut out of the future of growth in the personal computing market. Maybe this can only happen with Ballmer being fired. My hope is that MS will...
  I like that idea. Assuming the government would allow it, Apple financing the upgrade/expansion of unicom and telecom's networks, combined with continued iPhone exclusivity on those networks, combined with even more favorable financial terms for apple could be a great deal for everyone (except China Mobile).
Murdoch is evil. I'm glad his filth won't be polluting iDevices.    I would much rather support something like The Magazine. 
Wow, you totally missed what I'm going to say.    I think that if Apple wants an exclusive supplier, they need to find somebody with good technology but a small marketshare. Seems to me that's IBM. Apple should come to IBM and say "here's the deal -- we'll pay for all your fabs if you use them to make POWER chips for yourself, ARM chips for us, and nothing for anybody else." If they can get over their past, it could be a great partnership. 
  Years before Jobs left, I speculated that whoever succeeded him would have a pretty easy time of it for the first five years or so, because the first thing they could do is correct all of the obvious mistakes made by Jobs. The guy wasn't perfect -- both his eccentricities and plain old errors in judgement have likely resulted in plenty of easy opportunities to make improvements. Some of those things are obvious to the outside world (matching employee charitable...
I've found the Maps app to be improving noticeably already. It now shows a lot of places around me that it knew nothing about when I first used it.
Everybody always talks about TSMC as the best alternative for Apple. But what about IBM?    I know there's some "history" between Apple and IBM on chips. But with Jobs gone, it might be time for a hard headed analysis of all options, including IBM.    Why IBM?   1. Because all of these non-Intel chip makers (GloFo, TSMC, and Samsung) use fab technology developed by IBM. So why not just go directly to the technological source?    2. I suspect IBM...
  I wonder if the new Mac Pro will be a smaller box with zero room for HHDs (so, SSD only), no optical drives, just two PCI slots (for two GPUs), a couple of Xeons, and RAM.    People who need HHDs can buy an external box that connects with Thunderbolt. 
The iPod Touch doesn't have a cellular radio and therefore doesn't need the battery to drive a cellular radio. That's why it can be thinner. That's not rocket science. 
What does that really even mean? What "investment" is required for the iPod Touch? All they have to do (and more or less all they've ever done) is put N-1 generation iPhone components into the N generation iPod Touch. How hard is that? And why would they ever stop doing that? It seems like a great way to make a little bit more money off of the iPhone investments that they've already made. A big chunk of the fixed costs in something like the A6 is in the development. The...