or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

Economics 201   Diminishing Returns to Scale.   Example: Apple is operating at such a large scale that it can afford more diversification in the portfolio. There is currently considerably more variation in Mac models, despite far lower volumes. 
  Yeah, except that it would make a ton of sense to do a low cost iPhone without a retina display.    I know what I'm about to say is inconceivable to a vocal minority, but most people cannot perceive the difference between retina and non-retina displays unless they break out a magnifying glass. It's just silly for Apple to increase the cost of a product (both the cost for them to make it and the cost for people to buy it) over a feature that so few people are able to...
I think it might be more accurate to say that the carriers can greatly magnify/accelerate the rise and fall of a smartphone (or any phone). That is, Blackberry and Nokia didn't crash and burn because the carriers woke up one day and decided they just didn't like those guys. They crashed and burned because their products were not keeping up with the competition. The carriers can accelerate a decline (or rise) because of their large volume purchases. One other thought -- it...
Hmm... so here's my thought...    Apple can and should make it clear to these folks that you don't F with Apple. $100 million (or even $1 billion) is a rounding error for Apple, but if Apple were to spend that amount of money going after these people, these people would be done, regardless of who they are. 
  Umm.... sort of. Basically I'm a total idiot. I had multiple windows open and thought I was commenting on the Exchange bug. That's the thing that should have been caught.    It is pretty weird that apple keeps having problems with getting through the passcode, though. It's not a problem of QA, but a problem of design. 
Ugh. Shouldn't have gone out with this bug. Doesn't speak well to Apple's QA process. This usage case is too common not to undergo testing. Somebody should get smacked for this.   
Here's a question: Could Apple use cash held internationally to buy back AAPL stock on foreign stock exchanges without having to pay US tax? I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like if foreign cash is being used to buy AAPL on a foreign exchange, then that cash would never come under the purview of US taxes. Yet, the benefit to stockholders would be the same as if Apple conducted a stock buy-back on an American exchange using domestic cash (because stock is fungible across...
Apple's increased transparency regarding their plans for the Mac Pro is really encouraging. Granted, they're still clear as mud compared to other companies that sell workstation-class computers, but for Apple it's a big improvement to have Tim Cook announcing a new product way in advance and then this communication to the reseller (if it's legit, which given Cook's earlier announcement, I suspect is legit).    I take this to mean that Apple is planning to take the...
Yeah, I wonder if this is a hoax from somebody with a sense of humor. That is, if you do the math you'll realize this iPhone rumor is a hoax. 
  Yeah -- the same credibility level as a Rupert Murdoch tabloid.