or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

The original story hints at why Samsung would do this. IBM, Samsung, and GloFo apparently have a strategic alliance, part of which involves "synching" their fabs so that any one of their customers is assured of being able to draw on capacity from other members of the alliance. That implies that perhaps Apple has always had the option to draw on IBM or GloFo, and that Samsung is contractually on the hook to help support that. 
Hard to know what to make of all these rumors.    If it's true that Apple has gone with GloFo, I suspect it's because GloFo was willing to cede a level of ownership and control to Apple that companies like TSMC and Intel were not. I doubt it's because of any technological advantage from GloFo. But perhaps with Apple's business, GloFo can more quickly catch up with the competition. And perhaps because GloFo also builds x86 processors for AMD, Apple might have been able to...
 Not really -- in fact, not at all. There is no non-reitna version of the iPhone 5s, in fact there is no non-retina iPhone on sale now at all.  Regarding iPads, there is no non-retina equivalent of the iPad 4. The iPad 2 is inferior to the iPad 4 along several dimensions.  Regarding MBPs, the retina MBP has a better form factor and weight than the legacy MBP.  To do what I suggest, Apple would offer a non-retina version of current iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks that...
This is consistent with my long-standing hypothesis that super high resolution (retina) displays are not highly valued by most consumers. I think it's similar to how most consumers (as in 95%) are perfectly happy with 256 kbps AAC files and would never, ever pay extra for lossless.    Also consistent with that hypothesis is the lackluster sales performance of the retina MBP.    I think Apple would be smart to offer retina and non-retina versions of all products, using...
 I suspect that's true of most of Samsung's customers, too. Samsung, like so many other tech companies, does not really understand its customers. I suspect that's one reason Samsung (and Dell et al) throw so many products up on the wall to see what sticks -- they just have no idea what real people want or need. They design for and market to the tech nerd press. 
 Because Samsung and others are focused on the wrong things, which is why their marketing sucks and their product designs suck (unless they are copying Apple).  Even if Apple were totally amoral, I doubt Apple would bother cheating on these benchmarks because from a marketing standpoint it's a stupid thing to do and from an engineering standpoint there are better things to do with their time. 
Yikes...   I love my iPad, and I think it is certainly possible that the iPad could be a great educational tool.    But they should really conduct a rigorous evaluation of this before they scale it up. (maybe they did, but I doubt it -- Europeans are surprisingly hostile towards rigorous evaluations of social/educational programs). 
  Bingo!   Also India. 
  I understand your point, but if I were Jobs, I would have done exactly the same thing. 
mutually assured annoyance.