or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

What he tried to do at JC Penny was nuts.  There is no single reason the Apple Store works so well, but here are some of them (and these were true from the beginning): 1. Compelling (and fairly unique) products2. A premium brand3. Affluent, loyal customers JPC had *none* of those things. JPC had: 1. Mundane, commodity products2. A discount brand3. Cheap customers with no loyalty Johnson tried changing all three for JCP at once. It was impossible and ill-conceived. He might...
 Exactly! I seem to recall a Steve Jobs quote along the lines of -- coming up with ideas is easy; implementing them well is what's hard. 
I seem to recall a report/rumor that Apple tried to make such an investment, but TSMC rebuffed it, saying that they had the capital necessary for making the necessary investments.  It's hard to know whether that was a mistake on TSMC's part or not. It really depends on the amount of money involved and what kinds of strings Apple attaches to that money. 
The royalty fees to ARM are trivial, so it's not worth buying them to get out of that. And ARM doesn't place restrictions on what you can do with their ISA -- Apple can make any design innovations they want, and they don't have to share them with anyone else. So buying ARM won't result in a better product from Apple. I suppose ARM has some smart people working for them, but Apple seems to have no trouble hiring smart people, so it's not clear they need to buy ARM just to...
I think the gender difference is interesting, but hard to interpret. My impression is that males are more likely to be early adopters of new technology than females. But longer term the females catch up IF the product proves worthwhile. Basically, the females take longer to convince that it's a good product, but if it is a good product, then they'll eventually buy it just as much as males do.    To account for that early adopter gender split phenomenon, it would be...
The camera is a tentpole feature of the iPhone right now. If Apple were to actually go to a dual camera system with the 6s (or some other means of substantially improving the camera), I would seriously consider doing something I've never done before -- buy a new iPhone two years in a row.    Eventually the camera in the iPhone is going to be so good that improvements will no longer be noticeable, and they'll have to move on to some other feature to add or improve. But...
More like 40" (if the idea is to keep the same PPI as the current 5k iMac), but that would be kinda nuts for an iMac.  Perhaps a 40" 8k monitor would make sense for a new Mac Pro that is capable of driving such a beast over a cable. Perhaps a new (late 2015) Mac Pro will be able to do that. That's pretty niche, though.  I just can't see Apple increasing the PPI very far beyond the current 5k iMac. Apple designs balanced products, they don't push one dimension of a product...
 Yeah, I think you're mostly right.  The better point (which is barely touched on in the article) is that Samsung didn't make the best design choices here. The screen resolution is too high, and a quad core (technically 8 core, but really quad core) CPU in a phone is kinda dumb. Samsung could have made a phone that is virtually identical to this one in terms of performance that a user can actually perceive, but has better battery life (and lower cost, or higher profit...
Nitpick --- I think it's more accurate to say they are making poor *design* choices. 
I suspect the capability of these devices to act as diagnostic tools will come first, and the permission to make the claim will come second.