or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

Wow -- that's a big pile of money for just walking through the door. I need to find better doors.
"Google desperately needs a hardware business" Maybe this is true now, given the choices that Google has made over the last 10 years, but it did not have to be this way. Google makes its money off of search, advertising, web services. If Google had played the role that Steve Jobs had envisioned, Apple would never have moved to compete with Google in these areas. I wonder how much money Google has lost since Apple introduced its own maps app and how much more google will...
Clearly won't happen while Republicans control the House.
 I think this whole thing is a great example of how the assertions made by open source advocates are based on little more than blind faith.  Specifically, there are two blind faith assumptions here: 1. people who contribute to open source projects are altruistic2. bugs and security flaws are more likely to be spotted if there are thousands of eyes reviewing the code What we find in practice, however, is: 1. there are many people who are not altruistic -- in fact some that...
If nothing else this could improve Apple's ability to negotiate with Qualcomm. 
 This is a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of employees. The DOJ has nothing to do with it.  I hope the employees win and I hope they get their $9 billion. This sort of anti-competitive collusion needs to be severely punished. 
Anand is a smart guy and I appreciate his detective work (and that of his sources), but I found this paragraph a bit odd: "The challenge is that at full tilt a pair of Cyclone cores can consume quite a bit of power. So for now, Cyclone's performance is really used to exploit race to sleep and get the device into a low power state as quickly as possible. The other problem I see is that although Cyclone is incredibly forward looking, it launched in devices with only 1GB of...
 I think you are living in a 1978-era Reagan fantasy if you think that the only variation (or even the primary variation) in income and wealth is due to how hard people work.  I'm not arguing that how hard people work is totally unrelated to income and wealth, but the relationship is not as strong as I think you would like to imagine.  I'd say the primary sources of variation in income and wealth are due to (in decreasing order of importance): 1. How smart you work, not...
 Which policy response is best really depends on what the source of the problem is. If there are a lot of productive people out there who are poor just because of some irrational prejudice on the part of firm managers, then affirmative action makes sense (though that would definitely require government involvement). But I don't think that's the main problem we face today. I think the main problem is significant inequality in access to resources, starting at birth. This...
 I agree that firms should hire the best people for the job without regard to race, age, sex etc.  However, I also think that there are real inequities in society that need to be addressed, and that in far too many cases people who say what you said (and what I agree with) pretend those inequities don't exist or are opposed to every single idea for addressing them.  So I think that if one rejects one idea, then there is some burden on the rejector to suggest an...