or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

srsly.  Stealing is wrong.... but this is pretty cool. I kind of have to respect the effort and ingenuity. 
I tend to believe Apple is going to switch, but if that's their intent, I wonder if there's anything Intel can do to keep them a customer. I can think of a few strategies for Intel:   1. Cut prices. 2. Offer to fab Apple's ARM chips (if you can't beat em', join em') 3. Offer Apple early access to next gen Core chips (that is, keep Apple first in line for new chips, giving them a 3-6 month lead over other OEMs)   I can't believe they'd do #1. It would just facilitate...
Yeah, he looks like an IBM executive from 1955. 
Apple also uses Intel chips in their datacenters (or so I assume -- there really aren't any realistic alternatives other than Power7/8, and I seriously doubt they use that).    I'd love to see some informed speculation as to how many Xeons Apple buys from Intel every year to go into those data centers. Those server-grade Xeons are the highest profit margin chips Intel sells.    It's not crazy to suggest that Apple could develop an ARM-based core that could scale from...
I agree -- the whole reason it's delayed is because of Intel.  But it's because of those kinds of delays (along with Intel's 60% margins) that Apple might want to ditch Intel. Apple could probably cut between $50 and $100 off the price of the low-end MBA if they ditched Intel.
1. Porting software is not an obstacle. OS X is now totally free to classic MacOS baggage. Carbon is gone. Apple has total control over the developer tools.    2. Windows compatibility isn't a big deal for most users. It matters a great deal for a vocal minority, but for most users it's a non-issue. I can see Apple deciding that losing that niche is an acceptable loss. Also, emulation can be a solution for some of those users.    3. Comparing Cyclone to the Pentium-3...
If this article is correct, then the Exynos could be regarded as big.little, but it sounds like the Snapdragon is just slow.slower (that is, all the same cores, just clocked at two different speeds).  Seriously folks, these SOCs suck. Samsung would do better to just buy up old iPhones 5s, rip the A7s out of them, and use those in their "new" phone. I wouldn't be surprised if Xiaomi were to do exactly that (plenty of other useful components in the 5s, too... battery, NAND,...
I totally agree that they need to get the QA issues under control.  But I'm torn as to whether that absolutely has to necessitate another Snow Leopard. It could just mean that they need to improve their QA processes. I think I read somewhere that Apple is going to start to rely on its retail employees for help in software testing because relying on developers and a public beta was not entirely successful (because those "testers" aren't really testing -- they're just trying...
I think they should just keep buying back shares until I'm the only shareholder left. Then I'll own all of Apple!!! :-) 
I would guess more of the same... a GPU that's 25 to 50% faster, a dual core CPU that's about 25% faster, a better camera ISP, better audio processing circuitry, and yeah -- probably better performance/watt (so improved battery life).  The days of either CPU or GPU performance doubling are probably over.