or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

I actually am borderline legally blind. Apple's products have made the world much more easy to access for me. it is one of many reasons why I'm a loyal Apple customer.  But I don't know the ins and outs of the law well enough to understand how NFB has a basis for a lawsuit here.  Also, on the face of it, it seems unfair to target Apple rather than other firms that have done far less than Apple for accessibility.  edit -- another thought that just occurred to me is that...
I don't know what laws are in play here. But I would think that if Apple has to do this, then every other company that sells commercial software would have to do it. And so far as I know, that's not the case.  I wonder if the NFB knows their lawsuit threat is bs, but is just trying to use public pressure on Apple. If so, I think that's a pretty bad strategy. 
What law has apple violated here? Why not sue the app maker? Why not sue google? I'm all for greater accessibility, but I don't quite understand this story...
 dude -- lighten up. No, I was not being sarcastic. But what I was saying is not equivalent to the other things you mention. Everything I said is a fact: 1. Far more women carry purses than men. That's a fact.2. Men's pants are far more likely to have a front pocket. That's a fact.3. Women tend to have difficulty finding things in their purse. That's also a fact. And it's not because they are women. I have a hard time finding things in my backpack, which is why I often put...
A few thoughts:   1. one-handed use is nice, but there are clearly tradeoffs. I can understand that some users might want to sacrifice one handed use for the benefits of a larger device. I think it's fine that those users are able to buy an iPhone that better suits their needs.    2. I also hope we get a 4" iPhone 6, and I hope it's not crippled somehow. Apple should not impose artificial tradeoffs between devices.    3. I recognize that there may legitimately be...
I think it makes a lot of sense to move away from numbered naming of iPhones to having a portfolio of iPhones with consistent names.    If they want to be consistent-ish with other product lines would call the 5.5" the iPhone Pro, the 4.7" the iPhone Air, and the 4" the iPhone Mini.    They could also add a 12" iPad and have that be the iPad Pro. Then they really would have consistent naming between those two product lines. 
I'm thinking it's not the size of the woman --it's the size of her purse. The women I know are always losing things, including phones, in their purse. I think the 5.5" iPhone is appealing because it will be easier to find.  On a related note -- I want a phone that can fit in my jeans pocket. But women almost never have pockets, so that's not an issue for them. They carry things in their purse. It all comes back to that darned purse. I'll bet 3/4 of those 5.5" iPhones go to...
And Apple $$, which appear to be helping Samsung narrow the gap with Intel. It typically takes Intel about 18 to 24 months to move from one process to the next (for example, the first 22nm processor from Intel was put on sale in April 2012, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22_nanometer and 14nm processors have yet to be sold, making this an unusually long time between processes for Intel). Meanwhile, Apple/Samsung took just 12 months to make the transitions between 45 nm and...
I think it's really interesting that Apple is becoming a 21st century version of what IBM once was -- the preeminent vertically integrated computer company. In 1970 the computers were in big rooms, today they slip into your pocket. But both then and now, the most successful computer company designs/controls the silicon, OS, compilers, programming language, and more.    In the 1990s it was taken as given by many industry observers that vertical integration was a failed...
I think it would have been better if Apple had not allowed these things in the app store. Let Android be the platform for organized crime and wing-nut libertarian ideologues.