or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

Could be that he will have nothing to do with products but a lot to do with production. Robots don't commit suicide (or if they do, nobody cares).
bingo.    I'm a pro-American liberal. I think America sucks... except when compared to everyone else. 
  yeah, and which Department of Transportation was that? It was the US Department of Transportation.    Sure, American politicians are as big of a-holes as any in the world. But they are constrained in the damage they can do by a constitutional legal system that really does matter.      That's the difference between a country run by laws versus a country run by the whims of a glorified junta. 
I'm curious to see what Apple puts in the iPhone 5S. I guess people would scream that Apple is doomed if they stick with the A6, but I think the A6 is a perfectly cromulent processor. I think it might make more sense to die shrink the A6 and improve battery life, unless there's some killer new feature in iOS7 that could really benefit from a faster SOC. As the phone stands now, though, there's nothing sluggish at all. Unlike with previous iPhones I've owned, it's hard for...
  This has nothing to do with the relative importance of the Chinese and US markets -- both are very important. It has everything to do with the political and legal systems in the two countries. In the US, there's a fair court to go to (as there is in the EU and UK). That doesn't exist in China.    TC handled this very deftly. It was exactly the right thing to do in China.    But it would be very interesting to know what was behind this attack on Apple in China. What was...
Dare I say it, but I wonder if this apparent new push to get pros back would have happened with SJ in charge. We might be seeing a tangible benefit to Cook being CEO instead of Jobs. I for one will be thrilled if Apple makes good on its promises; also if they try and go after more than just graphics/video pros (though that's the obvious place to start). With Microsoft trying to force its mobile phone UI onto PCs and workstations, Apple has an opportunity to sell...
  I very much disagree. US policy decisions are made within a system of laws. Policy decisions that are inconsistent with the law definitely can be challenged in court. People do so all the time, and they don't find their families placed under arrest because of it. In China, the government is not constrained to follow laws in the same way.    Having said that, I realize that the distinction can sometimes seem nuanced and more a matter of degree than a matter of type. And...
I see a lot of commenters are perhaps not very familiar with cultural (and political) differences between the US and China.    Giving a little bit of benefit of doubt on the translation, I think that what Cook has done here is perfect.    Some things to consider:   1. China isn't Adobe. It's an authoritarian regime. You cannot win a direct confrontation with them, because the courts are a joke and even if they weren't, it's not like you actually have any...
Apple indirectly employs a lot of people in China. If the Chinese government is going to make it harder for Apple to sell products in China, some of those jobs are going to be lost.
  No, I have. I had an iPhone 4 for two years and now I have an iPhone 5. I also have an iPad 3.    Like I said -- it's utterly inconceivable to some people that everyone doesn't share their preferences, but that's the way it is. I think that's one reason why the iPad 2 is STILL BEING SOLD.