or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

I agree. It seems like there is this pervasive attitude among business types that the goal of any business is to lock in customers so that they have no choice but to keep buying your product no matter how cr@ppy it becomes. Therefore, they interpret all of Apple's vertical integration as an attempt at that kind of lock-in. But I really don't see it that way -- Apple's vertical integration is geared towards reducing their costs and making a better product, not at lock-in....
I totally agree. I used the video camera on my MBP for maybe a couple of months of goofing around (literally "look mom, we can see each other over the Internet! It's like Star Trek!", and then it just became tedious. I think the iPad would be even worse in this regard. Exactly how are you supposed to hold the thing when video conferencing? I don't think it's realistic to grab it by both hands and hold it out in front of your face for half an hour. And I don't want to be...
My thoughts exactly.
I'm certainly not one of those that thinks apple will fall apart when Jobs is no longer there, but having the guts to shun flash is definitely a uniquely Jobsian trait that will probably leave Apple when he does. To stand up and say "flash sucks, we're not supporting it, and if you want to be on the iPad you won't use it" is not the kind of thing that most risk-averse bean counting CEOs would do. For better or for worse, the dude just isn't going to do what he doesn't want...
Thanks for the lecture, Professor Dave, but I do know what multitasking is. My point, which perhaps needs to be made more explicitly, is that I don't think that there is a great need for actual multitasking on a smart phone beyond a narrow range of scenarios. On my Mac Pro, where I might be running 16 simultaneous monte carlo simulations in the background for a couple of days, I have a real need for true multitasking. I want to be able to do other things, sometimes even...
As a general rule, I think it is better to design a system that depends as little as possible on how "well written" 3rd party software is. The "well written" argument was used for a long time to justify the lack of preemptive multitasking in the classic Mac OS (the line was that cooperative multitasking works just fine so long as the programs are "well written"). The "well written" argument is also used to justify the lack of stability of windows PCs (it's always those...
No offense, but I think your perspective here is a little too narrowly focused. There's quite a bit more to the success of a product than the resolution of the input mechanism. The scroll-wheel on the iPod provides a lot less control over the device than a touchscreen, but iPods seem to have done well. The advantages of the iPad are (1) form factor, (2) UI, and (3) app support. (and maybe price) These might not sound very exciting, but they are a huge deal when combined....
It really is cool to watch the creation of an entirely new platform. It happens so rarely. And the speed with which this platform has grown is really staggering.
This gives a sense of what the interface will be like, but it's not clear to me that we really know any more about how this will actually work. Will Apple really let any old 3rd party app run down the battery by doing a lot of unnecessary things in the background? Or will this be an enhanced system in which app states are saved and restored more seamlessly than before and with a nice interface, combined with some very limited capacity for actual background tasks, but only...
Thanks for the link!