or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

As a general rule, I think it is better to design a system that depends as little as possible on how "well written" 3rd party software is. The "well written" argument was used for a long time to justify the lack of preemptive multitasking in the classic Mac OS (the line was that cooperative multitasking works just fine so long as the programs are "well written"). The "well written" argument is also used to justify the lack of stability of windows PCs (it's always those...
No offense, but I think your perspective here is a little too narrowly focused. There's quite a bit more to the success of a product than the resolution of the input mechanism. The scroll-wheel on the iPod provides a lot less control over the device than a touchscreen, but iPods seem to have done well. The advantages of the iPad are (1) form factor, (2) UI, and (3) app support. (and maybe price) These might not sound very exciting, but they are a huge deal when combined....
It really is cool to watch the creation of an entirely new platform. It happens so rarely. And the speed with which this platform has grown is really staggering.
This gives a sense of what the interface will be like, but it's not clear to me that we really know any more about how this will actually work. Will Apple really let any old 3rd party app run down the battery by doing a lot of unnecessary things in the background? Or will this be an enhanced system in which app states are saved and restored more seamlessly than before and with a nice interface, combined with some very limited capacity for actual background tasks, but only...
Thanks for the link!
Because Apple might not want to continue giving Google uncontested access to all of Verizon's customers. Apple needs to contain the cylon menace.
that may very well be how they think, but man, you'd think that by now they'd realize how they've damaged their credibility over the years with this kind of an approach. People look for any excuse they can do discredit the message of greater energy efficiency and groups like Greenpeace serve up those excuses by the container ship load.
Perhaps a more likely substitute is a big screen TV. What uses more power -- me sitting on the couch watching my 50" plasma or me sitting on the couch surfing the web, reading a book, etc on an iPad? Even if you add in the (relatively tiny) power consumption on the server-end, I bet the iPad scenario uses less energy than the plasma TV scenario. And actually, i wonder how using an iPad compares to reading a book. Sure, the book doesn't have a battery, but the book had to...
Hmm... I almost agree with you. I think the problem with groups like Greenpeace is that they appear to be suggesting that they would prefer that economic growth be halted or reversed. Whenever they complain about any specific economic activity, it always sounds like they just want the activity stopped, not that they want it to be done more efficiently or using greener energy sources. That line of argument is anti-progress, anti-human, and isn't going to convince...
I think the right way to look at this is to see the emergence of "the cloud" as a great opportunity to improve the environmental impact of computing relative to a model in which all of the computing power lies with the client. Far easier to influence how power is generated for a single, centrally located server than to influence how power is generated for a million geographically dispersed clients. For example, it's easier to get google to install solar panels on the roof...