or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

they need the content people to go along with it, and the content people are afraid of alienating the cable companies. It's just hard to see how to get from here to there.
I'm a little surprised that 3G wireless carriers don't already implement compression of all data that gets sent over their networks. Wouldn't that speed up everything? Or is that too complicated? Or is it already done but this is something different??
So basically he's Sculley.
I love this idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_9QhRzJEs
Yeah, i was amazed by that, too -- that clearly made no sense.
I'm not arguing against Apple showing restraint. I'm arguing against the hypothesis that they are showing restraint in this case because they want to have only one model of iPhone throughout the world. That clearly makes no sense. I think there has to be a different reason why Apple refuses to work with either Verizon or China Mobile (and in my original post I listed some possibilities).
yes, yes, I know all that. But i'm not talking about introducing 13 SKUs of Performa iPhones in a misguided attempt to appeal to slightly different demographics. Apple has shown that they are perfectly willing to add products if there's a market for them. Look at the MacBook Air -- that is essentially a niche product. So is the AppleTV. The volume (and revenue and profits) of iPhones that could be sold on Verizon or China Mobile completely swamps what Apple sells in...
I just don't believe that Apple is really refusing to make phones for Verizon or China Mobile just because they want a single set of models for all the world. It just makes no economic sense. Both Verizon and China Mobile are large enough to justify the investment. I find it much easier to believe that: 1. China Mobile and Verizon are both making other demands that Apple finds unreasonable, either individually or as a package. or 2. AT&T and China Unicom...
I wonder if apple has fallen out of Intel's good graces for daring to use their own chip in the iPad instead of Intel's Atom... Still, Intel should be careful. Apple currently only buys chips from Intel for the Mac, and Apple sells a lot of Macs. Does Intel really want to risk losing business to AMD? Of course, I guess it's possible that the delay in the MBPs has nothing to do with Apple not getting chips from Intel. Could be Apple's own marketing schedule, could be...