or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

Techno-geeks focus on the inputs, the rest of the world focuses on the outputs. By making the A4 a mysterious black box, Apple avoids all of the noise from geekdom and focuses people's attention on the overall product. I think the Wii analogy is perfect. Geeks refuse to buy it because they think the hardware is obsolete. The rest of the world buys it because it's fun.
What's the value of flying around the world compared to simply communicating with people who are already there? A journalist who knows little about India dropping in on India for a few days isn't going to provide any great insights, and sending them there is very expensive. If we want facts about what's happening there, we can ask people who are already there and are better equipped to make sense of the facts. I see relatively little need for a "jack of all trades"...
Thanks for the info, although I do kind of cringe at the idea of getting a Dell monitor (I realize that's not particularly "rational", but there it is -- I might go for Samsung, though). I'm actually not that picky about the color reproduction (I have a mac pro, but I'm not a graphics/video person -- I'm an economist). I just like big screens with high resolutions and wide viewing angles.
I think that part of the role you're describing will be taken on by the substantive experts. If a substantive expert in, say, federal reserve policy find success in writing stories for a subscription-based news provider, then writing those stories will become a larger part of his/her career. To improve those stories, the writer will need to go out and talk to people in the field, look up facts they otherwise would not have looked up, etc. In other words, they'll become...
I know you're quasi-joking, but this clearly is a good description of much network news. But I think there might be an important distinction between something that you pay for and something that you don't. I admit that I sometimes watch TV news shows simply because they are confirming my existing beliefs -- it can be comforting in a way. But there's no way I'd pay for that. If I'm paying, I want to be getting useful information/analysis that will help me better understand...
All of the current brands in news are so weak. In my mind, AP news used to be simpleminded statements of factoids regurgitated from press conferences and press releases. Nowadays, it takes those factoids and adds some weird quasi-rightish ideological spin that seldom makes any sense. I can't see myself paying for that. Meanwhile, the NY Times caters to wealthy New Yorkers -- lots of stories about how hard it is to find a good nanny and to live in Manhattan with a meager...
Heh... well, that's not saying much. I think the price of the 30" ACD implies that they really don't want to sell it.
I'm jealous. I hope Apple starts selling a stand-alone 27 (or new 30") display for us Mac Pro users!
If the problems have been fixed by a software update, then it seems likely that Apple's previous claims that delayed shipping times were due to heavy demand were probably right (since it must not have been a hardware issue). The fact that Apple sold over 3 million Macs in the fourth calendar quarter also seems to support the idea that they were indeed selling a lot of these things.
I guess an issue here might be how one defines the market. I'm thinking of a true mobile platform with widespread third party application support. I don't think that manufacturer-specific operating systems (other than RIM and iPhone) are going to succeed in that market. But if you're talking about a broader market that includes cheaper devices that don't have or require third party application support, then I guess I agree with you. The one wild card here that perhaps...