or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

Dropping the 3GS in "rich" countries makes sense. But it would also make sense to keep it around at a lower price in developing countries. 
Sounds good to me. Breaking up Ma Bell took government intervention -- we'll probably need similar intervention here, too. 
Yeah, there are definitely gaps in what you can do without cable TV, and that does kinda suck. I think a route for Apple to go here would be to skip as many middle men as possible and  start making deals with the content producers. For example, they should work out a deal directly with the NFL to get football games on the Apple TV. That might take a few years (until the NFL's existing TV contracts are up), but it eventually could be done.    And of course apps -- with...
Apple thinking that they can negotiate with cable companies is like Obama thinking that he can negotiate with republicans -- it ain't going to happen. the cable companies have a stranglehold on most people that they think is unbreakable. Apple needs to attack them from a different angle, which actually is what apple is doing with the existing apple tv product. But apple needs to step it up -- add apps to the apple tv and market the apple tv. I've already given up cable tv...
Intel is the best manufacturer of microprocessors in the world -- no doubt about it. But intel is used to very fat profit margins AND selling the same product to multiple customers. I think those things make intel an unlikely partner for apple outside of macs.IBM, on the other hand, is the brains behind most non-intel chip fabbers. Samsung, global foundries, etc all depend on IBM to do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of R&D for new fab tech. So indirectly, apple...
Huh???
I don't mean going back to PowerPC. I mean having IBM fab A chips.
I wonder if apple would ever consider going back to IBM. I know apple wasn't happy with IBM at the end of the PowerPC era, but those problems were not all IBM's fault. IBM could not make the needed investments to keep PowerPC competitive in large part because apple was such a tiny customer. But i wonder if IBM could do a much better job for apple now that apple is buying 100 times as many CPUs today as they were back then, is doing the chip design work itself, and could...
Intel makes 60% margins and even lowly AMD makes margins in the 40s. Both of those are a lot better than the minuscule interest apple earns on its cash hoarde.The real reason apple would not want to build a fab is that it would just take too much time to hire the management and technical staff who could pull it off, then build it, then test it, and finally actually make something with it. We are talking about a 5 to 10 year effort. Apple may have more money than everyone...
  Yup. This strategy is also used in game consoles. Sony has been selling the PS3 for years, but it gets cheaper for them all the time because the component costs keep coming down. Also, like the console makers, Apple could continue to upgrade the fab processes used to make the chips in the 3GS, lowering costs while holding performance constant. A smaller, more efficient SOC might also allow Apple to cut the size and cost of the battery while maintaining battery...