or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

mutually assured annoyance. 
I did not mean to suggest that all progress should stop and that Apple should never introduce an A7. Instead, I only meant that for the iPhone 5S, I'm not sure that it's really necessary to improve SOC performance. I think that given a choice between longer battery life and higher CPU performance, it would currently be best to move in the direction of longer battery life. But eventually, sure, it will make sense to push again on performance. And tablets are a different...
  Naturally they should not make a decision based on the perceptions of a single customer if those perceptions are not shared by any other customers. I'm not in a position to know that either way. All I do know is that when I had my iPhone 4, I appreciated the fact that it was much faster than the 3G that I had owned before, but I could still see areas where I would benefit from greater speed (for example, the time it took for the camera app to be ready to take a picture...
This desperate attempt to prop up Windows by denying other platforms timely access to Office is costing MS billions of dollars yet appears to be doing very little to prop up Windows. On the other hand, maybe Windows would be doing even worse if MS wasn't doing this -- that would be really pathetic. 
Unless iOS7 has some new features that really need a faster SOC I would think that the best interests of consumers would be served by just die-shrinking the A6 and pocketing the power savings and associated extra battery life. My iPhone 5 is the first iPhone I've owned where I perceive no need for greater speed in any feature I use regularly (the iPhone 4 was my prior model, so I can't speak to the 4s).    As for Samsung.... it's become clear that they will face a...
I know a certain class of person goes ape-s**t whenever someone says what I'm about to say, but here goes: Offering two screen sizes for the iPhone with the same resolution but different pixel density (just like with the iPad and iPad mini) makes a tremendous amount of sense. There are a lot of customers (particularly older customers) who prefer larger text and bigger UI elements. And related to this -- there are also a lot of customers who simply cannot perceive any...
Intel has margins of 60% -- much better than Apple's overall margins.    Even if Samsung only gets margins of 40% on SOCs, that still compared very favorably to Apple's margins on everything except the iPhone. 
This could be mostly BS -- just management propaganda designed to motivate employees.    But it would be more interesting to consider the possibility that he's serious, and to guess at what he sees as Samsung's primary problem.    I'll guess that he's worried that Samsung's current boom in mobile profits is about as sustainable as Motorola's or Nokia's in years past. And the reason for that worry is that Samsung does not control a platform -- there is no reason...
Could be that he will have nothing to do with products but a lot to do with production. Robots don't commit suicide (or if they do, nobody cares).
bingo.    I'm a pro-American liberal. I think America sucks... except when compared to everyone else.