or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

I think anyone willing to pay for an iPad is going to be willing to pay for high quality journalism and analysis, but the key phrase here is "high quality." The Times needs to step up their game a lot if they think anyone is going to pay $30/month. If every article they printed was free of factual or conceptual errors of the sort that are fairly obvious to an expert in the relevant field, then that would certainly be a good start. Add to that analysis that is original,...
This is so obviously correct -- I totally agree.
I think changing their business model is a no brainer, despite all the carping about it. If something is scarce, charge more for it. People who use less bandwidth should pay less. People who use more should pay more. The extra proceeds can be used to invest in more capacity, leading to lower overall prices in the long run. It's absurd that the carriers think they should make money off of advertising or devices or services. They should make money from selling bandwidth, and...
Apple should not underestimate MS in this market. This looks like a good product, and always remember that IT-guys LOVE Microsoft. It has only been because the iPhone has been SO totally superior to existing WinMobile phones that corporations have been starting to tolerate the iPhone. But if MS can offer corporate IT a phone that users will be willing to tolerate (and possibly even actually like), then MS will be back in this fight in a hearbeat. And don't make the...
Schwieb, Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to hear about menus and VB. What's the status of equations? Will the Mac be able to view and edit Word 2007-style equations?
I think that Gates represents a big segment of the tech nerd set but a small segment of the overall population. The tech nerds look at the iPad's tech specs, not at the whole device. They go down the spec sheet and see a bunch of components and features that are already available in other products (though not necessarily all in the same product, which is kind of the point), and so they are not impressed. They can't see the whole thing and they can't see how other non-tech...
I doubt they'll have a need to drop the price. They did a good job of managing price expectations so that the $499 price already seems low to people. When the iPad was first announced I had a "wait and see" attitude about it. But as the weeks have gone by I have begun to see a variety of situations where having the iPad really would be very handy, and better than having either an iPhone or a MacBook. I happened to be talking to a colleague the other day who has been...
looks like this affects me, too. I tried out the scenario they describe and I get exactly the same result. It certainly is weird and I hope that they fix it, but I can't say I've ever even noticed the issue prior to seeing this story, so I'm not really suffering here. I have a much bigger gripe involving what appears to be a bug in the Finder that was introduced sometime after 10.6. It basically prevents me from using utilities like rsync, and that really sucks.
I couldn't agree more. What the heck is Amazon thinking here? Next thing you know, Wal-Mart will start building cars and Microsoft will start selling a line of women's underwear. What is it with these companies that don't understand the importance of focusing on what they're good at?
That's kind of what I had in mind when I said "ticked off Jobs." I suspect that they are at an impasse on exactly these types of issues, and the longer Verizon refuses to budge, and the more ads they run mocking the iPhone, the more personally Jobs will take this. And the more personally he takes it, the harder it will be to reach an agreement.