or Connect

Posts by Blastdoor

Thanks for the link!
Because Apple might not want to continue giving Google uncontested access to all of Verizon's customers. Apple needs to contain the cylon menace.
that may very well be how they think, but man, you'd think that by now they'd realize how they've damaged their credibility over the years with this kind of an approach. People look for any excuse they can do discredit the message of greater energy efficiency and groups like Greenpeace serve up those excuses by the container ship load.
Perhaps a more likely substitute is a big screen TV. What uses more power -- me sitting on the couch watching my 50" plasma or me sitting on the couch surfing the web, reading a book, etc on an iPad? Even if you add in the (relatively tiny) power consumption on the server-end, I bet the iPad scenario uses less energy than the plasma TV scenario. And actually, i wonder how using an iPad compares to reading a book. Sure, the book doesn't have a battery, but the book had to...
Hmm... I almost agree with you. I think the problem with groups like Greenpeace is that they appear to be suggesting that they would prefer that economic growth be halted or reversed. Whenever they complain about any specific economic activity, it always sounds like they just want the activity stopped, not that they want it to be done more efficiently or using greener energy sources. That line of argument is anti-progress, anti-human, and isn't going to convince...
I think the right way to look at this is to see the emergence of "the cloud" as a great opportunity to improve the environmental impact of computing relative to a model in which all of the computing power lies with the client. Far easier to influence how power is generated for a single, centrally located server than to influence how power is generated for a million geographically dispersed clients. For example, it's easier to get google to install solar panels on the roof...
This is the problem with some AppleInsider articles (and the problem appears greatest with two particular authors) -- factish sounding assertions that are either completely untrue or are really just speculation. I generally like this site, but this tendency towards dishonesty does not help me as a reader.
The only question I have about the next version of office is whether the mac version will support the same equation editing as the Windows version. The fact that you can't even SEE the Word 2007 equations in Word 2008 is a real problem for me when I take documents home from work. I try to encourage people to use MathType instead of the Word 2007 equations, but our IT dept is threatening to not pay for MathType anymore. I've asked this in many different places, but...
This weekend at a party I talked to a guy buying five of them for evaluation at his firm. He told me they are already writing custom apps. And, to my considerable surprise, I just found out that my company is even buying one for evaluation. My company is one of the most technologically backwards places you could imagine. We are still running Windows XP and have no plans to upgrade to Windows 7. We still only officially support WinMo smartphones. My company is basically the...
So are you putting your money where your mouth is and shorting Apple stock?