or Connect

Posts by Rob55

As much I'd like to see your mythical device, I just don't see a 16:9 aspect ratio being practical on a tablet type device. I think it would earmark the device too much as a movie or HD TV show playback device as opposed to the multi-purpose device they're trying to position it as. Don't forget, an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper has a ratio of 1.29:1 (H:W) which closely relates to the 1.33:1 ratio of the iPad (assuming the 1024x768 screen has square pixels).
Yeah, I know what you mean. I wish they'd do something a bit more interesting with the AppleTV. I have one, but it's basically a music server for my multi-room audio system. I think I've rented 1 movie on it and that's it.
Think of it from Apple's perspective. If they enabled 720p video out from the iPad, then it would compete with one of their own existing products. Since the AppleTV probably doesn't see much in the way of sales, even a little bit of competition from the iPad could spell doom for it.
Not for nothing, but I doubt they could have included a VGA connector on the iPad and still maintained it's streamlined shape. Sure, it's a way to get us to buy accessories, but then what company doesn't do that.
I'm not sure why it is that you're getting so many scratched and unreadable discs. Believe me, though, that I haven't had a bad disc in months. Maybe it's a disgruntled postal worker in your area who likes to beat up Netflix discs for fun. But seriously though, what happens when you get new releases? Are they really beat up too? Some of the Blu-rays I get look brand-new and all play just fine. How close is your local Netflix distribution hub? Mine is about 50 miles from my...
First of all, this single, industry-wide movie format you speak of is called DVD. The new industry-wide movie format is called Blu-ray and contrary to what some might think, it's actually doing ok. To expect not to be tied into a single company who owns the rights to said technology is unrealistic. They're all out to make money and invariably a few of those companies will come out on top with their technologies and that's what we'll end up using. And to speak of CDs being...
Cool, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
A perfect example is the copy of Photoshop I just bought from Adobe's online store. Once I downloaded the installation file, I burned a copy of it onto disc and wrote my serial number on it. I then take that disc and put it in a binder along with all the other similar discs (ones containing software). It's also backed up in Time Machine somewhere, but for me, it's easier to pull out the binder and flip through the pages until I find the disc. Also, I burned a couple of...
My apologies about my post. I meant to imply that OS support is certainly required because I realize that simply adding a Blu-ray drive will only get you half way there. The reason I zeroed in on the recent iMacs is because it was their newest machine and because of the rumors that it may actually have include Blu-ray support. When the next new MacPro comes out, I'll be looking for potential Blu-ray support there as well with the obvious caveat that it'll require OS support.
Though I don't watch any DVD movies on my MBP, I still use the superdrive to burn CD and DVD backups of various files, etc... When the time comes, however, I will accept the demise of the optical drive. And no, I'm not so stubborn that I wouldn't buy an Apple laptop because it lacked an optical drive. But for me, personally, I still use the superdrive in my MBP.