or Connect

Posts by Rob55

First of all, this single, industry-wide movie format you speak of is called DVD. The new industry-wide movie format is called Blu-ray and contrary to what some might think, it's actually doing ok. To expect not to be tied into a single company who owns the rights to said technology is unrealistic. They're all out to make money and invariably a few of those companies will come out on top with their technologies and that's what we'll end up using. And to speak of CDs being...
Cool, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
A perfect example is the copy of Photoshop I just bought from Adobe's online store. Once I downloaded the installation file, I burned a copy of it onto disc and wrote my serial number on it. I then take that disc and put it in a binder along with all the other similar discs (ones containing software). It's also backed up in Time Machine somewhere, but for me, it's easier to pull out the binder and flip through the pages until I find the disc. Also, I burned a couple of...
My apologies about my post. I meant to imply that OS support is certainly required because I realize that simply adding a Blu-ray drive will only get you half way there. The reason I zeroed in on the recent iMacs is because it was their newest machine and because of the rumors that it may actually have include Blu-ray support. When the next new MacPro comes out, I'll be looking for potential Blu-ray support there as well with the obvious caveat that it'll require OS support.
Though I don't watch any DVD movies on my MBP, I still use the superdrive to burn CD and DVD backups of various files, etc... When the time comes, however, I will accept the demise of the optical drive. And no, I'm not so stubborn that I wouldn't buy an Apple laptop because it lacked an optical drive. But for me, personally, I still use the superdrive in my MBP.
The last piece of physical software that I bought was the upgrade copy of Final Cut Studio. You'll be happy to know that Apple decided to dramatically reduce the size of the packaging and not offer paper versions of all the manuals that came with previous versions. At least it's a step in the right direction. As for movies and music, they (Apple, etc.) need to offer better quality in their movies/music to get me to buy their digital copy over it's blu-ray/CD equivalent.
I totally agree with you here. I was sorely disappointed to see the new iMac line not offer Blu-ray support. Unfortunately, we seem to be in the minority here and you won't find much support from many of the members here on AI.
The replacements for floppy drives and serial and parallel ports represented clear and obvious benefits over their predecessors. I don't, however, see a replacement for optical drives that offers such a clear and obvious benefit just yet. Yes, I agree that it will happen, but optical drives still represent a cheap and effective means of delivering and storing data.
For me, 1 in 50 DVDs show up damaged or cracked. I haven't received any damaged blu-rays yet though. Scratch-wise, everything seems to play just fine.
There you go, a precedent for renaming the iPad the Apple Tablet.