or Connect

Posts by Rob55

Blu-ray is far from dead. Players are cheap (unless you're looking to buy a BR player at Shop-rite for $29.99) and movie prices are starting to come down. Not accounting for taste, the latest Transformers movie is $19.99 on BR at Amazon. Better formatted HD download movies?!? What are you smoking? Where can you download 20-35Mbps average bit-rate 1080/24p movies with lossless audio? Give me a break.
In my experience, when a manufacturer gave an estimate of a certain month, it almost always meant the end of that month. That's not to say that Apple might not ship the top-end iMac the 1st week, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
It's not like they're gonna start shipping the minute the clock strikes 12:00 on Nov. 1st.
Which external BR drive did you order? I was looking at the OWC Mercury Pro 12x BR burner for $350. Supposedly, they use the newest Pioneer drive and I figured I could remove it from the external enclosure and install it in a Mac Pro when I eventually get one but use it with my iMac for now.
You know I meant that in good fun.
I think that discussion would be more at home over at AVSForum.com
I was in the CE business up until about 9 months ago (my boss had a run in with a 12 passenger plane and though he survived, could no longer run the company) and I can tell you that the average customer doesn't know where to stick an SD card. And we typically dealt with high-end clientele. Though that may have been Toshiba's plan, many TVs that have SD slots could only use them for displaying pics. BTW, you most likely would need a class 4 minimum SD card to do high...
Maybe I'll bring out the suction cups tomorrow and see if it looks any better without the glossy screen. I know what you're saying about the speculative and diffuse glare, but I can't say I ever really noticed it (or maybe it just hasn't bothered me yet). You know what they say, ignorance is bliss.
Blu-ray is already supported by Final Cut Studio. Both Final Cut 7 and Compressor 3.5 can burn directly to a Blu-ray disc. Unfortunately, thanks to SJ and the chip on his shoulder, we have to use a 3rd-party drive. So, in a matter of speaking, it is on the Mac platform. SD cards are fine and all, but they're not quite ready to replace optical media. I do see it happening at some point, but if I didn't have an SD card slot in my PS3, they'd be useless as a tool to deliver...
The glossy screen was never a problem for me. There appears to be no degradation of the image (except for the potential for reflections and that's not a problem for me **no, I don't use it in a cave**). If anything, I have more of an issue with my iMac's screen being too bright. I typically have it set to the 3-4 lowest settings. Interestingly, I have a 20" cinema display hooked up as a 2nd monitor right next to my iMac and there are things that look better on the iMac's...