or Connect

Posts by occam

LCD Arms (Innovative Office Products) has the most capable and versatile arms I've found, and they even have a page specifically for Apple products! http://lcdarms.com/LCDarms/apple.asp Nevertheless, the arm I find most amazing is their: http://lcdarms.com/LCDarms/7601-14.asp Which supports up to 30 lbs. (enough to support a 30" cinema or even the new iMac!). Should work great with Apple's $30 VESA 100 mount for their displays (and presumably iMac). It...
limtc: How about ye old set-top box? Not exactly mobile, but could use wifi a la Airport Extreme. Maybe Apple is finally introducing an HD Tivo(-like) media box that also consumes wireless (for multi-room, iMovie broadcast, etc.)? I'd buy that and an Apple universal remote control in a jiffy.
Interesting! Sun's Pixo OS runs Apple's iPod! [QUOTE]Sun Software executive vice president Jonathan SchwartzInteresting! Pixo and Java are on a convergence course! Hmm, Sun's JavaOne and Apple's WWDC would be prime candidates for any revelations on this convergence course. I wonder what (if any) Pixo or Java anncouncements Sun will make about this at JavaOne 2004? I wonder what (if any) DRM or Java anncouncements Apple will make about this at WWDC 2004? Hmm, JavaOne and...
Gak! The initial message by kormac77 is the one I meant to link. Here's a better link: Initial kormac77 post. Cheers.
DaveGee: I suspect (and hope) you're on to something. One of the reasons the G5 introduction was so well received was because Apple pulled all technology stops in their design: S-ATA, latest graphics accelerators, whisper quiet, USB2, FW800, etc.. After all the half-baked G4 updates, the G5 was a huge breath of fresh air and seemed to indicate Apple was rededicating itself to *all* leading edge technology. These machines do not reflect that dedication and, even...
aemv is a poster after my own heart! Off the top of my head, the only caveat I have to his post is that the video iPod will likely only be available in a larger size (prolly not the smaller sizes). So maybe only available in 60G. Also, I can still dream we'll see Power5-based G5 (i.e., >> 970, 970fx). Other than that, bring it on!
Zapchud: I should have connected the dots in my post. The posted service manual pic has a large heat sink with a very prominent "G5" on it. So, we're getting another G5. If the 975/980 warrants a new G6 moniker and the service manual machine is still a G5 (albeit with a larger heatsink), then the G5 moniker indicates the Power4-based 970fx (rather than any Power5-based 975/980 (or whatever IBM calls it)). Frankly, I very much hope that this machine is the...
If the AppleInsider pics are authentic, I'm afraid we know that the next generation G5 will be just that... a Power4-based G5 (i.e., 970fx). If it were Power5-based 975/980, then I suspect Apple would use G6 (i.e., next generation) as the moniker. As painful as it feels, I'm afraid we're not going to get the Power5 architecture just yet. However, I'd be delighted to proven wrong at the end of this month (or sooner :-).
I'd be delighted with dual 3.0GHz (Power5 derived) 975's. Do the calculations. Before: 2x2.0 = 4.0GHz speed. After: 2x3.0x1.3(power5 hyperthreading factor: 1.2-1.4) = 8.0GHz speed I.e., double-speed in one keynote! Add in PCI-X graphics, appropriate bandwidth memory, 8x dual layer superdrive, 4+ h/d bays, continued silent operation (quiet fans), and a heavy-hitting best-of-breed graphics card(s) from ATI and/or nVidia (games, etc.). That would be a ballsy...
One potential speedup I haven't seen mentioned is a new compiler backend. I believe sometime after BigMac made its appearance, IBM announced a commercial compiler for PPC which takes advantage much better of the G5 (than does gcc --- which Mac OSX uses). I believe this was to account for a 25-40% speedup. Oddly, I have never seen mention of this compiler technology again, though I would have expected it in IBM's best interests to share this technology with Apple (to...