or Connect

Posts by macslut

That's not really the same thing though.  For example, AT&T's MicroCell kind of sucks.  The range is limited and it won't hand off from MicroCell to MicroCell.  The result is that in our house, you can't move from one area to another without the call dropping.  Plus you have to buy the MicroCells and have them positioned near a window for a GPS signal.  It works, but it's not nearly the same as being able to simply roam around the house and be on a call anywhere with...
 It's really not about paying extra to not have ads as much as it is to pay less to have ads with the product.  $250 is a lot for a thermostat.  I have 8 of them and love them, but really the device itself doesn't lend itself to even having ads in its current form; however I could see future versions providing marketing opportunities that could drive the retail price down to a much lower level.  They didn't partner with Google, they sold the company to Google, for $3.2...
 You missed his point entirely.  The issue is with one retail model versus another.  Subscription versus purchase.  Microsoft, like Adobe before it, would like to go exclusively to a subscription model.  We can accept that, but if we do, then we run into problems down the road with being able to access old files.  This isn't an issue now because there are non-subscription apps that read these files.  But when new file formats come out that are subscription only, then we...
I see this as a potentially good thing, if it gets more support for Passbook.
 Just to be clear, anyone could fairly easily develop an app that syncs a device with an iTunes library (minus FairPlay), using iTunes to sync a device has been pretty well locked down.
 I think Kuo is totally misguided in the expectations for an iWatch.  Even if it's a huge hit, it simply won't have the profit that the iPhone has.  It won't even be close.  We don't know what it even will be yet, but it's highly unlikely to be an iPhone replacement, and not even really likely to be an iPhone accessory with broad appeal.  If rumors of it being a fitness/health focused accessory are true, it may be very successful, but defined as being very popular with a...
 The purchase price of Qualcomm would be somewhere above about $150 Billion.  While Apple has a ton of cash, that cash is spread around the world, and repatriating it for a purchase would result in a reduction due to taxes. Further, if Apple were to purchase Qualcomm, they'd need to decide what they wanted to do with it.  Either it makes money (meaning they continue to do business with Apple's competition), or they only serve Apple, in which case $150 Billion is a hell of...
The entire thread of "copying the controller" is silly.   The controllers for the Xbox, Playstation, iOS (guidelines) and Fire TV are all somewhat similar. The kind of have to be.  There are only so many ways you can design a controller.  More so, they're designing the controller based on what buttons the ported games are going to require.  The layouts aren't patented, and this is a good thing because it enables people to go from one platform to another without too much...
 No, and it goes to the heart of the definition of bigotry. Brendan Eich spent money not on his beliefs, but to impose his beliefs on others.  He was unaccepting of the beliefs of others (bigotry).  He wasn't forced to resign because he didn't want to gay marry (that would've been bigotry and thus a double standard). Brendan Eich was forced to resign because there were enough people like me who looked at it like this... He's free to not gay marry.  He's even free to hate...
 This comment is excellent!  I agree, Apple should buy Square right now. It's worth noting that Square had a $5 Billion valuation back in January when it received Series D funding from Citi and Starbucks.  That $15 Billion of processing excluding Starbucks is significant because Starbucks is now using Square throughout it's chains (also Whole Foods just made the switch).  Even excluding this, and assuming no growth moving forward (just to be as extreme as possible), if you...