or Connect

Posts by macslut

It is illegal however to pay someone to violate an NDA. The site did say, "void where prohibited by law", but I don't think this was clear, and the spirit of the contest seemed like they were provoking people to violate NDAs. That said, it was a good gimmick, and if they wanted to do it right, they would've listed as a condition that they would not pay for someone to violate an NDA or break the law. And if the past is any indication, this may be possible. I was in a...
One thing to keep in mind is that Apple now has a lot of cash overseas. I'd like to see this asked in the next shareholder meeting. As much as 50% could be held abroad. If this is the case, Apple would either need to repatriate the money before making a domestic acquisition or leverage the foreign investment. Still, it's a buttload of cash they're sitting on...and at some point will need to do something with as investors want to invest in Apple as a business, not...
I find it hard to believe that it would cost Apple more money to develop and produce CDMA iPhones that it would receive in increased revenue from Verizon customers who would refuse to switch or are unable to switch to AT&T. Increased cost of CDMA = $1 billion??? Increased revenue (to Apple) from new iPhone customers locked into Verizon > $1 billion??? It's not about CDMA not being the future. It's not about 4G. It's not about "liking each other". It's not about...
Then Apple will have really screwed up big time. If Apple isn't planning on announcing the tablet, then they would be trying to control the hype. If Apple were only using this announcement for new laptops, iLife, etc..., or anything else, they wouldn't want people to be disappointed. Instead, they can get by without saying what they will announce, because it will in fact be the tablet, and doing it this way just builds more hype.
There are several things Apple could do here: iLife/iWork 2010 MacBook/MacBook Pros based on what will be just unveiled Intel chips Mac Pro on new Intel chips Apple TV next gen with TV subscriptions (and more) Less likely, but still possible: Preview OS X 10.7 Preview iPhone 4.0 Preview next gen iPhone Of course the tablet is so expected that Apple would have a hard time not at least previewing it. Still, I can't help but wonder if this will be a single...
I'm not. I'm betting the price of one iPhone. The payoff is an iPhone that has 2-3x the value. I don't know how many of the millions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation iPhones have been jailbroken, but considering not 1 true bricking, I've got to like those odds.
What you wrote makes no sense whatsoever. The latest version of the iPhone OS is 3.1.2. You can jailbreak 3.1.2, so what exactly is the functionality that non-jailbroken users get that jailbroken ones don't get? And, every previous version of the iPhone OS was jailbreakable as well, so I'm at a loss as to how multitasking, customization, app folders, a control panel dashboard, music sharing, and all the other features possible only by jailbreaking somehow result in less...
Yes, I am willing to bet. In part because I know that the iPhone has ROM (read-only) which will always allow for the restoring of the firmware. So unless there's a physical hack to disable this, you're safe from true bricking. And, as a bet, it's something that pays off. I would value my jailbroken iPhone at about 2-3x the value of what the iPhone would be worth to me if I couldn't jailbreak it. The benefits are that significant. As far as the rest of the security...
I live down in Palo Alto (very close to Steve Jobs), about 25 miles south of San Francisco. I travel to San Francisco often, and past San Francisco to Marin by car, and also boat around San Francisco. The biggest issue in San Francisco had been the frequency. Switching over to 850Mhz is a HUGE deal that's really going to change people's perception of AT&T, especially people who had no clue that the problem had more to do with the frequency and resulting blockage than...
Dear Apple, Many smart and experience people have claimed that it is impossible for you to prevent jailbreaking. They are wrong. Here are the technical steps required to prevent all future jailbreaking: Step 1: Open up the iPhone so there's no need to jailbreak. Step 2: There is no step 2. Until then, we'll all continue to jailbreak. At first I could understand the reasons for not opening up the iPhone, but the reality is, that unless there's theft of...