or Connect

Posts by macslut

No, the problem is that while that's what they intended, what they did would have the opposite effect.   Look at it this way.  There is a matrix of 4 people:   1) Bought the game, not jailbroken. 2) Bought the game, jailbroken. 3) Pirated the game, not jailbroken. 4) Pirated the game, jailbroken.   What they did was restrict the game for users that fell into group #2, and only group #2.  If you were in any of the 3 other groups, your game played just fine.   If you're...
  I'm not guessing on how many people jailbreak to steal apps.  I've given no statistic on the matter.  I'm just pointing out that: 1) You don't need to jailbreak to pirate apps on iOS, and never have. 2) Many once popular piracy apps/services that ran on jailbroken devices have shut down and cited "lack of interest". 3) The most popular jailbreak communities (http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/) have very few comments about piracy at all, and when someone mentions it,...
  No, it shows a site that is saying it has had over 700K downloads of Angry Birds.  Has it, because surely no disreputable site would ever lie about that number.  Of those downloads, how many were actually installed?  Of those that were installed, how many were on jailbroken devices (again, you don't have to jailbreak to pirate apps).  Of those that were installed on jailbroken devices, how many were not later purchased, or had already been purchased but the user...
  Sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about.  Piracy seems to be down overall for iOS apps.  I say this because so many piracy repositories have shut down.  Even Installuous shut down stating lack of interest.  Meanwhile jailbreaking is at an all-time high.  There are a record number of tweaks, themes and apps in Cydia.  While iOS has incorporated many features that were jailbreak features only before, the development of additional features has increased...
  There are lots of questions regarding jailbreaking an iPad.  1) What countries are we talking about? 2) In the US, what would happen if someone were charged with this?  Nobody ever has, and if they were, there would be all kinds of legal challenges. 3) Does the Library of Congress have the authority to make the laws it has? (this hasn't been ruled on yet)   The only reason why the iPad wasn't included in the explicit exemption is because the definition of a tablet...
  That should be "Apple says, 'it can void your warranty'".
  They are certainly free to choose to do this, but it's a very foolish decision on their part.  Your cited estimate of 40% in 2010 was heavily flawed, and misquoted.  We'll post this again... You don't need to jailbreak to pirate apps.  You have never needed to jailbreak to pirate apps on iOS.  It's easier not to jailbreak if you're solely interested in pirating apps. The same is true for game cheating.   What they've done isn't a deterrent at all.  You only get this...
  No, sorry, that wasn't pointed at you at all.  I was referring to people I see who have their sole iOS device, usually a relied upon iPhone, and jailbreak it on day 1, and then go into Cydia as if every tweak is supposed to be installed.  I'll then see them ranting and raving about problems they're having only to then see them give up and make claims about how unstable jailbroken devices are, or even problem with jailbreaking itself (because they tried it on day 1).   I...
  What they did with this game was different from what you're describing.  In this case, it's not a question of the game not working on jailbroken devices, but rather the app checks to see if the game is jailbroken and then notifies the user that a feature has been disabled.  They are intentionally disabling it.  This really isn't anything new, a lot of apps have tried this, and all have failed.  Heck, they even failed with this one as there was already a tweak for it...
  As much as I'm pro-jailbreaking, I don't think Apple should refund money for this.  We jailbreak, we're on our own.  There have been plenty of other apps that have done this, and they've all been cracked by xCon and others.  For those who are unaware, this is a tweak that fools apps that you have purchased into thinking they are running on a device that hasn't been jailbroken.  It doesn't assist in piracy.