or Connect

Posts by macslut

You don't need to jailbreak your iOS device to do this.  And developers should encrypt "coins", "achievements" and other things people can cheat with instead of having them easily editable even on non-jailbroken iOS devices.
This really isn't anything new and it's a very terrible idea for developers to do this.     The facts that people tend to miss here are that: 1) You don't have to jailbreak to pirate apps on an iOS device.  You've never had to. 2) Jailbreaking does not equal piracy.   Sure, some jailbreakers pirate, and @d4NjvRzf brings up a good point, sideloading apps has always been possible on Macs and PCs, are Mac and PC users nothing but pirates?   So these...
LThey used to point out that when Google releases a version of Android, it's like Apple releasing a beta at WWDC. To some degree I can see this as a fair comparison, meaning that Google has to first release the version and then vendors and carriers can start work on implementing upgrades.Ok, but when this was the excuse back in 2010, I was skeptical, but could see how this was the case. However since 2010, the largest group of users are still on the same version. THREE...
  I agree NFC has never gotten any traction in the US, but Bluetooth is far from dead.  I currently have dozens of items in my Bluetooth list that I connect to on a regular basis.   Wi-Fi doesn't add simplicity over Bluetooth, in fact, it adds complexity since you either have to connect to a network or run in direct mode.  Maintaining a network isn't always an option and running in direct mode presents other issues (like the inability to connect to two networks at the...
  Nope, they have all kinds of problems.  Check the Android boards.  Another very common complaint is that it will sometimes fail to charge.  Recover from this involves button holding / restarting voodoo that doesn't work for a lot of people.  I rarely use the Nexus 7 I bought for development and testing purposes, and it has all kinds of problems.   To be clear, these hardware problems are a different issue from my distaste for Android.
Microsoft undercuts Apple in education, selling pricing Surface RT at $199
  I agree that editorially it should be "next generation iPhone", but if I were a betting man, I'd bet they'd name the next iPhone the 5S, unless the next iPhone is the rumored lower-priced iPhone.   The numbering makes sense: iPhone 1 iPhone 2 (never released) iPhone 3G, 3GS iPhone 4, 4S iPhone 5, 5S   The numbers represent the body of the iPhone model.  The "S" is the Second edition of that body, if it exists.  The only anomaly is the "G" they used in addition to...
Wow, it's Friday morning and someone at Microsoft decided, "what the hell, let's really blow this week!"   Really, can Microsoft do anything right these days?   I was really excited about MS Office for iOS, but wow, did they blow it... and not in a beta/version-1 kind of way, but in a way that's all kinds of bad and not likely to improve.   I'm ok with the $99 a year.  I don't like it, but if it's solid, it's worth it.   What I'm not ok with is simple...
  That doesn't make sense at all.   I think you're confusing virtual memory with inactive memory.  Virtual memory use disk/SSD for ram when there isn't enough real memory.  Inactive memory is memory that was recently used, could be used again but is not currently being used.  When it's needed again, it switches from inactive to active as opposed to being read in from disk or regenerated.  If you run out of memory and need more for active memory, the least recently used...
  What they should've done is released Maps as a public beta and kept Google Maps as the default until Maps was ready.  The problem was that they real-world feedback from the users.  And time to work on that feedback.  Instead, they only had feedback from developers who happened to mostly share the same geographic areas.  I live in Silicon Valley, so it's no wonder Maps worked well for me on day 1.