or Connect

Posts by macslut

They used to have this policy way back when.   You don't need recertification, instead, you need new certification on new products... usually just classes of products.   This really makes sense.  Most of what you learn during certification is how to use the tools and resources that Apple provides. 
This is good news for Apple.  Yahoo was in an epic death spiral before the new CEO.  They're getting really focused now and making major improvements to services that will compete against Google and Microsoft.  I'm pretty damn impressed with these improvements to Flickr.   Now if they could just get their act together with Yahoo Mail.  
  I can think of several ways this would be a highly desirable product for me...   First, it needs to be reasonably water-resistant, enough for light swimming.  It would be great to be able to keep my iPhone in a water tight container or in the cabin on my boat, jetski, or even when I'm out in the rain, skiing in the snow, etc...    Next, it needs to have a good selection of remote capabilities.  I don't want to watch movies on it or play Grand Theft Auto, but if I can...
"around 40 percent of Android devices are running a three-year-old version of the OS"   Wow... think about that for a second.  I would've thought much less than 40% would even have a phone that was 3 years old.  
  Or at least have block party shuffle mode...  Allow us to shuffle a playlist, but play all songs grouped by same artist (album or other criteria).
For $2 a month per subscriber, you'd think they could afford the feedbin.com domain.   And therein lies the rub...   The problem is that a robust replacement for Google Reader is needed, and so far nobody is really stepping up to the plate.  There are a bunch of mickey-mouse players trying to grab some of the scraps instead of a large enough player with significant infrastructure to provide a whole solution to what was lost. Google really screwed a lot of people...
I think a lot of people are missing the point of this article and the significance of the numbers.  Let me point out just one data point:   4.2.1 came out in November of last year.  That was 5 months ago.  4.2.2 came out in February this year.  That was 2 months ago.   Only 2% of Android devices have upgraded to either 4.2.1 or 4.2.2.    The ACLU is getting involved here because these updates include bug fixes that improve the security of the devices.  The...
  Gee, I don't know.  Why don't you ask The IT Crowd?
  It does far more than that.  A lot of the "Twitter has replaced RSS" silliness comes from people who have no idea what RSS is...or even understand the acronym (Really Simple Syndication).   Every single podcast in iTunes is based on an RSS feed.  There's no Twitter replacement for that.  The metadata alone in a podcast RSS feed is much greater than 140 characters.    Many sites depend on aggregating content from other sites.  The most popular method by far is RSS.  A...
I'm so friggin' sick of all of these "Alternatives to Google Reader" articles that miss the whole point of what Google Reader actually was, and what's needed to replace it.   Look, there are, and have been for a long time, a bazillion apps and websites for reading RSS feeds.  Google Reader wasn't the first, and it won't be the last.  This functionality of Google Reader won't be missed by many.   What will be missed, and what's desperately needed in its place is...