or Connect

Posts by rbryanh

Even leaving the bizarre redundant phrasing aside, how are we to know that this isn't the equivalent of reviewing a better-than-average Nazi death camp? Human rights are not a relative issue. "Unacceptable" doesn't become acceptable just because the norm is "intolerable." I don't want to support a company whose factory is merely less soul destroying and deadly than the one next door. The notion that justice occurs on some relative scale is as wrong as it is...
Apple is an institution, not - whatever the elected officials such institutions purchase would have us believe - a person. It's what every corporation was designed to be: an amoral profit machine the sole purpose of which is to enable those with wealth to accumulate more of the same. As such, it doesn't need an excuse. All it or any company needs is an opportunity, and in a system where legislators and law are for sale, such opportunity requires nothing more than a...
What a busy week! It's a good thing Tim Cook has truthfully told us how "Apple takes working conditions very, very seriously, and … [has]… for a long time." And what could be more obvious? Certainly no company achieves a $100B surplus without being serious about these things for an extended period. It takes time, thought, planning, and passion to establish a huge manufacturing base in places which - unlike the collapsing empire I live in - regard "human rights" as a...
When you need to distract from the fact that what you're about to say is transparently the opposite of the truth, always begin by frowning with abject sincerity and saying "very, very…" Our corporate masters attend the same school of rhetoric as the elected officials they pay to put and keep in office: the Madison Avenue School. Whether it be child labor, war, or wrinkle cream, the truth in America is whatever most people hear most of the time. If their operators...
Yes, yes… We can see from the abject failure of the iTunes store, YouTube, and ever other attempt to provide online access to video that the market values exquisite picture quality above all else. This is hardly surprising, given the previous failure of home video to have any effect on movie theater ticket sales. What fool imagines that anyone would ever watch anything on less than a football field of perfect fetish pixels? When will these silly companies realize...
You're confirming the reality of Lee's quote by equating criticism of your electronics with criticism of your self. Please… You are not your phone. I've never met you, but will still say with absolute confidence that you are infinitely more valuable, interesting, and beautiful than your phone, and that you are capable of being all that and more with no phone at all.
"Mobile can be a symbol of who you are," Lee said. "A lot of people believe 'what I have in my hands is me.'" A lot of people believe a lot of things. A lot of people are astoundingly shallow, terrifyingly ignorant, and spend the bulk of their time either watching the TV or shopping for the things it tells them to buy.
One of the great ironies of the 21st century is that most of our marvelous hi-tech toys are made entirely by hand, in sweatshops, by desperate people whose pitiful wages can't purchase even one of the hugely profitable devices they make. If you don't feel dirty, you aren't paying attention.
Apple would have the world believe that the degradation they support in China is far away and nothing to worry about it, but in fact, corporate sociopathy begins at home. This perspective is so common that it's easy to grow numb to just how appalling the underlying assumptions are. Consider that the definition "poaching" is theft of livestock, and that it's historical use has often involving livestock belonging to royalty. You can't steal what someone else doesn't...
Certainly it's tragic, but "strange?" This reminds one of nothing so much as Bush Senior's delighted surprise at encountering his first supermarket scanner. Some of us live in a nation where the overwhelming majority of brilliant, creative men in many fields died of a plague in a single decade. "Strange?" The tragic death of promising men in the prime of life was the norm for more than half my life and I've attended more funerals than all other social occasions...